Developed shingles on holiday!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Thought I got sunburnt a week ago in Cyprus as burning sensation on my back! But a week later still burning and slight lumps appeared under my right shoulder and my right breast. Saw doctor yesterday who confirmed shingles but couldn’t give me anything as first five days had gone by and advise I take over the counter painkillers! I have been extremely tired and after just waking up have noticed it’s spreading to my waist & itching like mad think I’ll buy some calamine lotion tomorrow pain killers aren’t working and it’s 2:30am so cant do anything but scratch! All ideas appreciated

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita.  I'm sorry to hear about your pain and itch, nothing is more debilitating  than that awful itch. I found that the fastest way to stop the itch is by icing it, and  taking an antihistamine. Try to avoid scratching, that will just make it worst.

• Posted

I highly recommend clear nail polish, as you put it on and make sure it dries and then continue to put it on when needed. It will encapsulate the bubbles and they won't break and spread and cause more itching. It really works, I tried it months ago and then the other day I had 1 shingle rash break out, just 1 bubble and applied the nail polish, I checked to see if I had anymore outbreak and nothing smile I am so thankful.

• Posted

Dear Anita,

I am so sorry you are going through this.

The appearance of the rash occurs in crops or waves, usually over a period of five days. I would take some Benadryl at night. Ice packs and cold showers do help with the itching. Conversely, heat will increase the itching.

Solarcaine with Aloe has been beneficial to many with itching as it contains Lidocaine, which numbs the nerve endings. Any sun care or wound lotion with Benzocaine or Lidocaine will help, with the highest percentage Benzocaine or Lidocaine.

Probably, Naprosyn or Motrin would help more than Tylenol regarding the pain. If the pain level is too high, go back to your physician and demand an Opioid, as shingles is one of the most painful afflictions of mankind. It is their duty to alleviate suffering.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.