DEXA scan and AA dilema

Posted , 11 users are following.

As mentioned previously I have suffered from PMR for the past 3½ years, my current dosage of Prednisone is 6mg.

On a previous posting of mine I mentioned having been prescribed AA but without the GP concerned actually seeing me. Following suggestions made by many of your good selves I requested a Dexa scan. This time I sat with a GP who agreed with my request for the scan but then went on to aggressively insist that I agree to take the AA, saying to me "YOU WILL BREAK BONES", and "YOU WILL GET OSTEOPOROSIS".

This week I received news of my DEXA scan results, I was asked to telephone the surgery so that a GP could discuss it with me. This GP was quite sympathetic when I told her of my refusal to take AA. Even with this result, rightly or wrongly I told her, I am still against taking AA. These are the results she had given to me .  

Spine total  L1,L2, L3, L4.   T score -2.3.   Z score 0.1      Osteopenia

Hip Neck                         T score -2.6    Z score -0,5     Osteoporosis

Hip total                          T score -2.4    Z score -0,6     Osteopenia

The interpretation being that I am Osteoporotic. The Hospital recommended AA.

However, this GP was more understanding, did not insist on my taking AA, but went on to suggest weight bearing exercise such as walking etc., also prescribed be chewable calcium tablets after I explained my past difficulties taking other forms of calcium tablets.

I would much appreciate all comments please, as of course I have to wonder if there is any possibility of my improving my condition, once I have 'hopefully' come off the steroids.  

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are pretty much borderline between osteopenia and osteoporosis in all those readings. Whether it is due to the pred can't be said since you didn't have a dexascan done at the beginning to get a baseline - maybe you already had low bone density. However - the GP was wrong to say you WOULD develop osteoprosis and WOULD break bones. People with low bone density don't always break bones, people with normal bone density DO break bones. And I can name a few of us who never took AA (and some who didn't even take calcium) whose bone density stayed fine over several years of pred. 

As it is I think I would stick with your sympathetic GP and get on with the weight-bearing exercise - and make sure all the other means of avoiding broken bones are dealt with! I have no desire to take AA so I have every sympathy with you. I'm sure Anhaga has plenty of advice.

There are all sorts of things that are just as important: keeping your vit D at a good level is important it appears from studies, not just because it helps build bone but for other reasons. Drinking plenty of water so you do not get dehydrated is also a factor. Good muscle tone and exercise is also important, especially with something like nordic walking and tai chi. And then there is the sensible stuff like no slippery mats/rugs that curl up and trailing cables. Good lighting in dark corners and stairs etc is important - with bulbs that light quickly. 

Loads of things to start with.

• Posted

Dear Eileen   Thank you so much for your very encouraging reply as I have been near to tears, but the replies I have received have helped me to think positively, Thank you once again.Mrs MAC UK
    • Posted

Hi Eileen, why is 'not getting dehydrated' an important factor?   J
    • Posted

Because it improves neural and muscular function I think. I can't remember the details - it was discussed in a German health article on TV. A group had done assessments of residents in a care home to improve their stability when standing and walking - vit D levels and state of hydration were found to have an influence on how steady they were on their feet. The elderly tend not to drink enough - partly because they are unsteady and find getting to the bathroom difficult so reduce their fluid intake to avoid needing to go. And that compounds the problem.

I'll have a look when I have time and see if I can find anything about it. Poor hydration also doesn't make your cognitive function any better wither - and that could also have something to do with it.

• Posted

Mmmm , was wondering because I'm a dreadful drinker - half glasses of water, of wine, half cups of coffee, tea etc.  NEVER finish a cup or glass of anything.  ( And the cognitive functioning isn't optimal either - as I've just repeated myself!).  

J

• Posted

The main use for the microwave function (I have a proper oven that also does microwave) is to reheat cups of tea...

Fancy leaving half a glass of wine redfacerolleyeseekquestion

• Posted

No half glasses left in this house, either. Where do you get your moving icons? They make me smile. Mine are all boringly static!😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.