DEXA scan and t score, when is low way too low ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I´m new to this forum.

Male, 47 years old. No ´complaints´ related to osteoporosis, although I do have lots of health problems.

Recently I had a DEXA scan to test my body composition. This specific scan setup was not designed to test for osteoporosis, but I got a T score of  -3.0 and was advised to get a ´proper´ DEXA scan for this purpose.

On the picture some local ´thinning´ of bone mass was visible.

Aside from what such a ´proper´ scan might reveal, when is ´low´ way too low ?

What are common values to be very concerned about ?

I have had lots of health problems, I suspect hormonal problems as the main cause. I would indeed but a bit concerned about ´regular´ treatment of osteoporosis if this would end up as ´treating symptoms´ rather then the cause.

While -3 technically is too low, how low can it get ? I would like to get some perspective.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You have asked a number of questions.  i can't answer how low can things go, but while -3 sounds scary it isn't really - you have lots of space to work on improving that result through nutrition, supplements and exercise.  At your relatively young age I would avoid any of the OP meds as none of them can safely be taken for very long and should probably be reserved for critical cases and aged persons.

Also, because of your relative youth you need to find out why.  Is it your diet?  Other habits, like smoking?  We know that a diet too high in animal protein (even dairy) can leach calcium from the bones.  I believe that soft drinks are bad for the bones.  A lack of exercise means your bones aren't been challenged to keep on remodelling themselves to keep strong.  There may be some clinical problem which only your doctor can help you discover.  But whatever you do, diet, supplements and exercise will help you.

• Posted

"aren't being challenged"  - oh for an edit button!

• Posted

My worst result is -4.3 and I have heard of -5 and lower but it cannot go much beyond that. -5 is very serious.
    • Posted

Thank you. I wonder at what value you're at very serious risk for fractures ?

I learned I had a serious vitamin D deficiency in 2013. Since then I've been taking a vitamin D supplement. I also had a blood workup in 2014 by an internist and at that time the calcium levels were fine.

• Posted

i was never tested for vitamin K, and my past intake of that would be guesswork.
    • Posted

Just as many people break bones who do not have osteoporosis as those who do. Accidents would account for most. People with osteoporosis have fallen and not broken anything.

I have heard of people with -5 and worse have broken bones turning over in bed or sneezing or coughing.

I thought I had broken my back when I sneezed because it hurt but I had ruptured two discs instead.

• Posted

Most doctors still don't know about the importance of Vitamin K2.  A good introduction is found on authority nutrition (one word).

• Posted

Doubt if a K2 test would be useful.  Apparently we don't store it, unlike many other fat soluble vitamins.  Just assume you are deficient as nearly everyone eating a modern diet is.

• Posted

Your blood tests can check your calcium and vitamin D levels which are very important for bone health. Look at your diet and have lots of vegetables and some fruit. Avoid sugar and empty calories. Have dairy in the form of yoghurt and cheese especially. Make bone broths full of vegetables. Have leafy greens and salads. Take vitamin K2 to put the calcium onto the bones. Take vitamin D3 if needed as indicated from your blood tests. Avocados, cucumbers especially the skin, prunes and real food as opposed to take away type and processed meals.

Do lots of research. Walk every day.

You can reverse this.

• Posted

kathleen65757,

Thank you.

Obviously, the question is then this started.

I did check my internist's report of 2014. Calcium levels were within range. I also had a CT thorax. I'm just not sure if that would have been detected by the radiologist ?

Vitamin D deficiency had been detected early 2013, so I have been taking it ever since.

As I noticed on the DEXA scan, muscle mass in the upper body (formally 'lean body mass'wink has been depleted in an extreme way. As for the exact cause, I'm not sure, the local healthcare system isn't exactly great ... (!)

I wonder if there would be a correlation ? There is protein in bone, right ?

• Posted

You are talking about muscle mass. Have you lost weight? I think you have a few issues then. We are not doctors on here just people who have researched and shared our experiences.

I am thinking too you are male and young as well. I am 72 so I expect to have lost strength not that I was ever very strong compared to my husband.

Try eating very well and exercising with some weights if you are able. Extra nutrition in the way of supplements might be advisable as well.

See if you can find someone who will address your specific body issues and work with you to regain some body mass. 

We have GP care plans here in Aus and your doctor can refer you for help with these at little or no cost. No sure where you are but there must be some supports. We even now have nine physiologists referrals we can get from our GP.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.