Dexa scan result

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got my results today regarding my dexa scan,

Results as far as I can read them are not great

AP spine result L1-L4 T Score-3.1 Z score-1.6

Femur neck T score -2.3 Z score -1.0

Total. T score -3.1. Z score -2.0

OK its as clear as mud to me but read Z scores mean its an alternative reason for osteoporosis.

Any guidelines would be great as its all new to me.

Should I take to my bed wrapped in cotton wool.

Thanks in advance.

1 like, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No, you do not need to wrap yourself in cotton wool or take drugs.

Healthy course is the best way. Anhaga has already described this.

Avoid falls though! However, as many people with osteoporosis as without break bones during falls.

Seek professional help with exercise regime as each person is individual with unique issues with health and stamina.

• Posted

Hi thank you all for taking the time to answer, so with the other score from spine and main femur you still think I should go the pro active route, I must admit I'm not keen on taking drugs if there are alternative routes.

I will say though that 20 weeks ago I very foolishly fell off a 3 foot fence onto a concrete area and fractured my hip and pelvis, the pelvis healed quite quickly but because of a clinical diagnosis at the start the hip has been allowed to heal conservatively hence dexa scan last week and results,

I had up to that point a been actively doing gym and swimming and line dancing for nearly 2 years so think it would have probably been much worse.

I'm healing on hip fracture and now 50% weight bearing and more as pain allows, I'm told pain is now muscles reacting to the immobilized state for so long.

I promise not to climb any more fences LOL

• Posted

Hi Alexandria

If your Z-score is -2 or lower, it may suggest that something other than aging is causing abnormal bone loss.

While I don't rhink you need to take to bed just yet....if you choose to I suggest fine silk .

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks Judith that has made me smile, in fact it caused a small chuckle.

I am being very careful as that was my 5th fall in four months, first I fell in local co op where water had run out of freezer, landed on hip ouch but no break, second I chased a puppy up the road and had to rugby tackle it to stop it running on road ouch again but luckily only cuts and bruises and twice more off same fence, stupid or what, third time oops wasn't so lucky was I .

Will go buy some silk.

I just wonder why I didn't break anything before and any idea what could be the unaged reason

Thanks again for answers

• Posted

Want do that again, too be honest I so wish I could even get close to standing, let alone on top of fence
  • Posted

Hey Alexandria

Anhaga's post is awesome...enough so that I suggest that she repost this every once in a while for newcomers to our group and as a nudge to the rest of us to find time in our busy lives for weight bearing exercise.

Weight causes stress on a muscle, a stressed muscle pulls on the bone to which it is attached, when a bone is pulled on a bone grows to withstand the pull, bone growth promotes bone health...your bones are alive, they have blood flow to them, bones are nourished by what we eat, bones need the oxygen we inspire...

I do not count saving a wee puppy as a fall, although I would have suggested a proper American football tackle....

The fence...are your neighbors that interesting?

hugs

judith

• Posted

That's a really good comment, I totally see that and that's why my orthopedic surgeon said weight bearing as tolerated to stimulate growth which I'm doing daily to help healing.

No couldn't manage America tackle LOL also no neighbours its the small fence round front door to stop dogs getting out but instead of opening gate you climb up and jump down only foot caught and bang ugh.

Anhagas post is brilliant its good to have support while going through the unknown, thank u

• Posted

What did you write to make you blush, erm obviously nothing rude or it would have been modded and vanished, in fact how did you do it ????
    • Posted

I was embarrassed by the plaudits. eek If you click on the smiley face at the upper right of your post you get a selection of emoticons.

• Posted

Nope you deserved them , can't find them, does osteoporosis shrink the brain or turn it to sponge LOL

• Posted

Start a post.  See the little bar which has a B for bold, an italic i, a sideways smiley face and what might be a sun coming over some mountains or perhaps a head on top of pointy shoulders?  The sideways smiley face is what you want.  idea

• Posted

Oh dear I am having a dim day, I just started this post and nothing ?????
    • Posted

I don't have a smart phone so didn't think you might have problems that way.  twisted

• Posted

Looks like that's the reason, oh well can cut and paste like I did up above, how come you can't paste websites on here I wanted to put a petition up regarding pip but can't they mod it

• Posted

That's just the way it is.  You could contact the moderator and ask permission.  Or you can find another forum.  I don't know what pip is?

• Posted

Its personal independent payments which has taken the place of DLA, its been revamped and so many are seeing it as unfair that the mobility side of it has been changed so less will get it.
    • Posted

Sorry.  I don't know what DLA is!  What country are you in?

If it's the UK you could consider signing up to healthunlocked forum.  They are much more relaxed about links and such.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.