Dexa Scan Results

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was recommended to this forum, by my fellow Polomyalga Rheumatica people.

I had a dexa scan in May and received the results today.

I hate to admit I really don't understand them, apart from it shows osteoporosis at both sides ( femur neck -2.7 and L1-L4 -3.9).

The rheumy has suggested IV bisphosonate.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Julia

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

-2.7 is just into the osteoporosis range and -3.9 is more serious because the higher the number the worse it is. The first result pertains to the hip and the latter to your back. My back one is -4.3 so a bit worse than yours. And also my back in the lumbar region is my worst score.

However, I have had no broken bones despite lots of falls in the last five years or so. I have assumed my tiny bones are strong because of this. I have no proof other than that they been challenged enough.

I was offered the drugs to deal with this but I have chosen to try the natural route first because I have researched and been inspired by some lovely people on here who have managed to do just that.

Weight bearing exercise is vital which can be just walking. Vitamin K2 is hailed as being a wonder drug as it aims the calcium onto the bones and out of the arteries so also protects your heart. Vitamin D3 can be checked in your blood tests and a lack of this has been shown to be detrimental to bones and other things.

My diet is very good. I make sure I include bone broths, avocados, prunes, yoghurt, skin of cucumber, and leafy greens.

Anyhow, I hope this helps a bit. Research and take your time to decide your path until you are happy with your decision.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you so much for you're reply and the information.

Apologies for the delay in response, a pmr fatigue and brain fog day.

I certainly understand a lot more now.

Hope you are well.

Julia

• Posted

I am a bit surprised by the IV method because you are stuck with this whereas if you were going week by week you have some control. Side effects would be there for the duration if that were to happen to you.
  • Posted

Hello julia and welcome. I wonder if you have digestive problems, or difficuilty swallowing medication and this is why this treatment has been suggested for you. I take oral bisphosonates without problems, but some people do have difficuilty swallowing these. My t-score, 2 years ago was -3.5. However, thankfully, now my hips are -2.4 and my spine -2.9. This is an improvement as the higher the number, the worse the osteoperosis is. ( it is confusing because we are talking minus numbers) If, in the next year, I can have both readings at - 2.5 or better, I will no longer take the medication. Kathleen is correct. A good diet and exercise is vital and should be embarked on, whether you take the infusion or not. I have always had a good diet and always exercised but I have added Vit K2 to my diet and walk more than I did 2 years ago. Unfortunately, before I was diagnosed, I had 3 fractures, none due to falling as I seen to have a very strong central core. Your rheumy should be able to answer any questions you have. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for you're reply,

I think my rheumatologist suggested Iv, as my last visit with him wasn't very constructive.

The tablets he has prescribed for bones protection, can't spell the name, I had stopped taking.

I will think about the iv.

Hope you are well.

Julia

• Posted

The tablet form can be a bit of a pain. I always get up earlier that day so I can still have breakfast at the normal time. However, because I hope!!!! I will only be taking them for another 11 months, I decided it was easier to continue as I have had a very good result and no side effects. Unfortunately most of us do not discover we have this condition until we break something or have a dexa scan because of other medications that can have a negative effect on our bones. Sorry to hear your last appointment was not constructive. Hope the next one goes better
  • Posted

I was also prescibed IV bisphosonate as I have GERD,chronic gastritis,etc. (decided not go through medicine rote but upped diet of calcium and supplements..K2 etc). Havent been back to rheumy to get anpother DEXa scan but then again my scores were better than yours
    • Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for you're reply.

I will have a think about the Iv, like most of us I am fed up with amount of medication I have to take, but on the other hand what would I be feeling like without it.

Hope you are well.

Julia

• Posted

If you are on a lot of different medications it might be worth a discussion, maybe with your gp, maybe with a pharmacist, about possible interactions and whether anything can be done to mitigate those.  It seems that some people have problems with one med but changing the prescription to another med which does the same thing can help greatly.  And a review of your meds may even turn up something you might not need, who knows?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.