DG-HAL RAR recovery (UK)

Posted , 2 users are following.

wanting reassurance from others who have had the same! currently day 9

had "excision under anaesthetic + DG-HAL+RAR" for grade 3/4 internal haemorrhoids under the NHS. signed off work for 6 weeks

day 2/3 - kept up pain meds (tramadol, paracetamol, ibuprofen) and an prophylactic antibiotics (metronidazole). Morning and evening shallow baths with a capful of Dettol, 10mls milk of magnesia at night. Thinking this all went better than I thought this'll be a doddle...

day 4 - owwwwww!!!! feel like i have been anally violated by Edward Scissorhands. first sensation of needing a bowel movement - sat on toilet in cold sweat. Worse than childbirth. tiny amount of soft stool passed after all that. repeat several times...

day 5 - same cold sweaty nauseous feeling passing tiny amounts of loose stools

days 6-8 sensation of having been punched in the anus. frequent need to pee. more soft stools but nowhere like the same pain

day 9 - today I'm utterly exhausted and just cannot sit comfortably. Just want reassurance from others who've had the same procedure.

Antibiotics finished yesterday, still have some Tramadol and am just taking one in morning when pain is worse, then paracetamol. Surgeon said not to take ibuprofen for more than a week (NSAIDs can delay healing?) so those are the only pain relief choices. Avoid opioids as constipation risk.

thinking of taking Fybogel from today, have stopped the milk of magnesia as i hate the taste (not that fybogel much better - I hate any liquid medications etc). I've been having sensible food (Fruit& Fibre, chicken, fish, rice, veg etc)and Activia yoghurts. Also trying to add a couple of satsumas and prunes as snacks.

when did others feel able to leave the house??? i cant imagine being too far from a loo at the moment! I don't know if its all the swelling and pressure down there but i need to pee every hour at least!

for the last few days i have been sat on the sofa watching Netflix but I'm now wondering if sitting so much is a bad thing?

For anyone going through this my favourite things have been:

Dettol baths (I'm weird, I love the smell!). Surprising how much pain relief the warm water gave.

Disposable pants! for the first couple of nights i wasn't sure what to expect, some Tena pants took away the fear of soiling the mattress and let me sleep! when I realised the leakage wasn't as bad as I feared it was ok then to use sanitary towels placed bum-end of my pants.

Sudocrem - thoroughly dry after passing a stool, then a fingerful of this between the bum cheeks is so soothing.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

ok - day 10 - what happened??? woke up feeling ok! yes, - feeling of tenderness and bruising but by no means the pain of previous mornings. now lunchtime, less frequent toilet trips (still more weeing than normal). Two small bowel motions (soft, skinny) but without the usual amount of pain/discomfort. Actually feel that I could go out for a short time - hope this continues!

• Posted

day 12 - feeling like normal is in sight. pretty constant sensation of discomfort but just a minor niggle. know i mustn't overdo things but feel that i can do more. Avoiding lifting anything heavy (goodbye for now ironing board and hoover!). Waking more slowly than usual but normally I rush everywhere so not a bad thing. Will try to update this post so anyone else looking to know what to expect can see what my experience was - guessing I'm one of the lucky ones. (Feeling a fraud that i have another 4 weeks off work but to be fair i wouldnt want to be lifting anything heavy which my job does involve at times, also it involves a lot of rushing about)

Small amount of slightly bloodied discharge, just using a small sanitary towel to prevent staining clothes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.