DHEA

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had success with DHEA for Vaginal Atrophy?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Have you tried bio identical hormones to help treat you VA? The longer it goes untreated I think the harder it gets to turn it around. There is estrogen made to rub around the outside as well as inserting inside at bedtime with a applicator. It is the lack of hormones that are causing your issue. Mainly estrogen. But it don't hurt to replenish testosterone too. Good luck!

• Posted

I've taken it for over a year. No change that I know of but I think it's really impossible to know if any one thing is improving anything when we take and do so many different things. Experiments need controls.

My gyn was fine with it.

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Before I used it (dehydroepiandosterone) I read the package insert that come with the drug. It contains both testosterone and estrogens. It may soften up tissues over time because it adds estrogen back to where it once was. I used it for a month but saw no improvement, and it created lots of discharge. However, vaginal issues weren't the problem. The doctor was just trying it to see if it would help the pain of LS but it did not. However, the package insert showed a concern over long-term use with the potential for cancer. The test report said it was safe for a year but patients should be evaluated after that before continuing to use it. Actually body builders use it in pill form and you can buy it over the counter in health food/nutrition stores.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.