Diabetes 1 + Depression + Alcohol/Antidepressants. Experience anyone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey,

I have had depression since I got Diabetes 1, 15 years ago. During a point in my life, I was on Cymbalta for my Depression which helped me. But the withdrawal effects were difficult.

I have also self-medicated with alcohol which has helped. But I realized it is not the way to go.

The issue is that when I have a few glasses of beer my depression is gone. And when I was on Cymbalta antidepressants during 6 months I had never felt better. But since I quit Cymbalta for over 4 years ago. I have felt depressed. However natural medicine like meditation, diet and exercise has helped to cope with my Diabetes 1. But none as good as alcohol and antidepressants. However, I do not want to start taking antidepressants again due to side effects. And I do not want to drink alcohol.

Anyone else has any similar experiences or stories with handling depression/anxiety caused by Diabetes 1 with alcohol or antidepressants?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have been type 1 for 22 years . . . taken antidepressants for 15 years . . . life is a rollercoaster as I divorced 15 years ago, have ageing parents, 3 grown up daughters & 2 grand daughters. I now live with my partner of 10 years but life never runs smoothly - health of parents & yourselves need to be at their best, but beyond control. Alcohol and food are my comfort - which don't help.

• Posted

I am unsure as to what age you were diagnosed with Type 1. I was diagnosed in 1977 when I was 8 yrs old and thus the changes from animal insulin to Human Insulin when I was about 15 yrs old seemed to have caused a detrimental effect as I went a bit weird. Nowadays the analogue insulin is much better of course. I am of the understanding that depression is increased by the variations in high and low blood sugars as it affects the brain (obviously). Alcohol (such as beer etc) increases blood sugars a great deal and one can then over correct with insulin and cause themselves hypos. Vodka (for example) makes less of an immediate effect on blood sugars but be very aware of the aftermath of too much of it as blood sugars can go to severely low (especially if you do not eat). The depression understandably is, well, depressing! and thus anything to assist in feeling fine is a temptation. It seems to be a difficult thing to deal with in my opinion. For fear of mentioning a place (and thus being moderated) I would suggest looking at IDDT as they are a diabetes group that have booklets on this problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.