Diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I read on a web site that a home Glucometer uses whole blood for test which includes red cells and these red cell reduce the sugar element. The Labs use the blood which excludes red cells. Thus the home Glucometer may be indicating about 20% lesser results which may give a rather inaccurate / undependable picture. On the other hand one may feel Glucometer results dependable as Red Cells element would always be there to constantly keep reducing the sugar level in the blood. Thus no need to be concerned if Glucometer shows results within specified levels.

Can I have the views on this subject?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My understanding is that Home Glucometers are reasonably accurate.
    • Posted

Thanks for response. I feel the same though results of glucometers may not be as accurate as the Labs yet one does get a fairly reasonable picture about his Blood glucose level.
    • Posted

In hospitals we often measure blood glucose with glucometers rather than a full laboratory blood test and I've never heard anyone say they're not as accurate.

• Posted

If one wants an answer through the google, one does get slightly doubtful after reading inaccuracies of Glucometer versus Lab. Anyway, home Glucometer is certainly convenient and also a good indication if one notices abnormal readings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.