Skip to content
Ad
in this discussion +4 following
Andreea12 Andreea12

Diabetes

Hi!

How Diabetes affects your life? Do people with Type 2 Diabetes have a shorter life span?

It still affects you if you keep your blood sugar level normal?

Could you tell me what food to avoid and what food is good for Diabetes?

Thank you!

3 Replies

• barbara46755 barbara46755 Andreea12

With controlled blood glucose, you can live a very long time.  I know people who lived well into their eighties.  Unfortunately, you can do everything right to manage diabetes and still experience complications, or not.  As for diet and other matters, the best thing you can do for yourself and your health is to speak with a diabetes educator and a nutritionist.  Good luck to you on your wellness journey!

• jane243 jane243 Andreea12

As a borderline diabetic myself and having just had a 'pep' talk from the practice nurse telling me to eat more carbs at every meal,  I am wondering how long it will be before the NHS acknowledges that the 'Eatwell Plate' that it recommends for diabetics is the worst advice ever.

O'Level biology 60 years ago told me that all starch turns to sugar in the digestive system. The obsession with low fat and subsequent high sugar just couldn't be worse for blood sugar levels.  It's high time the NHS  swallowed their pride and acknowledged their mistakes.

I learnt in O'Level biology that starch turns to sugar in the bloodstream.

• jane243 jane243 Andreea12

There are several extremely good websites where you can get some really helpful advice. Sorry to say that this is not really one of them. They do not like anyone who disagrees with them.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

Already approved

You can't report this, it's already been approved by a moderator.

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.