Diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm wondering what percentage of diabetics inject insulin twice daily.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well, I guess all type1's inject multiple times per day.

For type2's it's a much smaller number who use insulin at all, and it depends how you count.  There's a huge number with "prediabetes" and they do not use insulin.  Of the ones even with diabetes, probably at least half use only diet to control it.  Then there are a lot who use only metformin and other oral medications.  Finally most of the ones who use insulin use it with every meal, so that's typically three times a day.

Do you want to rephrase the question at all?

• Posted

I use insulin twice a day. So for me, its about the right amount of insulin and the right amount of food. Makes sense . I'd prefer to inject 3 times a day. Has the short acting insulin in premixed pens the same effect as rapid acting for type one diabetics. I often wondered about that not that it matters too much.

• Posted

Hi Tom.

When i first became diabetic i was on a premix which lasts around 12 hours so would inject twice a day. It gave me no freedom. Now im now on basal bolus regime i take basal morning and night then bolus (short acting ) when i eat. The amount i take depends on what im eating and how much carbs. Its acts for around 4 hours so i check my BM 4 hours later if to high i top up with a couple units of short acting. It gives me so much flexibility, my day is not dictated by meal times, i eat when im hungry and i can enjoy a meal with friends or family because my insulin doesnt dictate when i eat or what i eat.

The down side is i test more, i take more injections (up to 6) and my blood sugar can fluctuate a lot which doesnt leave me feeling great

UAre you new diabetic? I was only on that regime for ( premix) 6 months and i later learned (i work in medical related profession ) thats what your started on to get used to self injecting then somthing more intensive.

I also found out that there is such a thing as Diabtes ralatetd eating disorde where people will comprimise their insulin to lose weight.

• Posted

Thanks for great message. I'm 15 years diabetic. I always thought my insulin regime was a bit weird. I have a hia1c if 55 ir in old money 7.2. They say its reasonable I say its ok. Diabetes is a disorder and youd want to b a genius to keep it right all the time . But your info could be good for me. I'll check at diabetic clinic if I can get to talk to one of them as I'm on medical card here in ireland.

• Posted

I replied a minute ago with a long message but it disappeared. So a short version. Just had mini hypo.its 10 at night. I ate a good bit of food at 6 this evening. I injected 16u of humalog mix 25/75. My level at that time was 7.8. I went walking. I cant understand how levels can drop so quick. So its only at night around 10 or so. If I could conquer that, it'd be nice.

• Posted

Hi Tom

Would talk to my consultant if having hypos. Might offer you different insulin to Humalog or suggest you adjust your dose but in my experience of using premix i was lethargic, and having to eat when food was the last thing on my mind. Also i would have a dip 6 hours post injection. Didnt work for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.