Diabetes and food

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was diagnosed with diabetes feb 2013 and have been on oral medication since August 2014 and it is at the moment well controlled. I have been on a diabetes education day and had several talks with the practice nurse who has had additional training in managing diabetes. However just recenlt I have become confused about mealtimes. Neither the practice nurse nor the education day said anything about the importance of having meals at a set time each day but talking to friends who have been diabetic for many years they all say I have to eat at set times each day if I want to keep my blood sugar stable. However my blood sugar is stable even though I do not have my meals at set times so I am confused. Please could someone give me the benefit of their experience?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gill70346, I find that if you eat at your usual, then you should be fine. As long as you stick to a good diet, then you will be fine.

As for myself, I don't have set times, for instance if I eat as regular as I am told I tend to eat later when it comes to my evening meal. Most of my meals are around five, but Sunday I will have my main dinner about two with a light snack early evening.

But each person is different. I have three family members who are diabetic and they all eat at random times.

All I can say is stick to what you are comfortable with. You will also have family/friends telling you different bits of advice and telling you to eat or have you been eating well.

If you are happy with the way things are as well as your doctor/nurse then don't worry, I was told the stress/worry can cause your diabetes to fluctuate, but not sure if it is 100% true.

• Posted

I am Type 2 & I eat when I feel hungry, but I have a friend who is also type 2 & she eats at set times, but if I did that, I would be eating when I am not always hungry.

So I think its what you feel is best for you, I am a big believer in listening to your body.

• Posted

As you and mark have in effect both saidyou do not need to eat at set times I think I will stick with that.i need flexibility for meal timesaslong as I eat healthy food and not too much of it!!
    • Posted

Hi gill70346, all you need to do is to have your meals when you feel comfortable. You will get a few people (family,friends) telling you different things and some are not diabetic and some referring to other friends, family who are, but at the end of the day it is your health. Just keep in a few extra's in case your sugar levels fall a little, I find a Mars bar because of the glucose, then have a sandwich when your a little better. One last thing is if you do follow advice you will find that you will have more problems in the long run. Carry on with what your doing and you won't go far wrong, also linda67164 is also correct in what she is saying, so if linda was close by to myself, I would listen to linda as she knows what she is talking about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.