Diabetes and low kidney function.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I think I may have posted about this a few months ago but not sure.

I went to GP surgery back end of last year with what I thought was a simple UTI.

They took blood and called me back in a few days later as they were concerned about the results and wanted to talk to me.

Blood sugar was high and also kidney function was low.

They changed one of my tablets and continued to take blood every month till March.

They then said sugars had come down and kidney function had improved.

So I was pleased and now only test my blood sugar once or twice a week.

What I am confused about is blood sugar is still high when I test it it was 21.6 yesterday evening but I have no symptoms of diabetes such as thirst, needing to go to the toilet a lot sweating even when it is this high.

Sarah

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

If your blood sugar is consistantly high then the first thing to do is look at your diet, keep a record of what you eat to see if you are eating to much carbohydrate. Be honest with yourself, perhaps you then could have one treat a week and see how it goes.

• Posted

Sarah, if you get BG numbers that high, you should talk to the doctor about it and probably be on medication. One of the side-effects of diabetes is kidney damage, and you don't want any more of that.

Of course watch your diet, have you been following any kind of carb-counting diet already?

And, do you take your BG reading at least two hours after eating? Though really, numbers that high, even right after a meal, indicate a problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.