Diabetes type 2 and testosterone i ( women)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, 

I have always had type 2 diabetes. We even tried taking insulin injections and it never lowered my diabetes levels. Now 1 year ago i took testosterone shots each month approx 1 shot.  I noticed my daily blood glucose was down from 300-400 to 40 and 60... yes... I was eating chocolate like crazy... ( i hated chocolate before testosterone ) when i have lunch the maximum blood. Glucose goes up to 80. 

With insulin and glucophage treatmenet nothing happened... 

During testosterone period of 6 month my hba1c went down from 8.9 to 7.4 

Now that i am off testosterone my diabetes is back and my health is miserable even if i dont eat anything!

Why did testosterone help but not the medication. My doctors dont want me to take testosterone. But it was the only thing that made me better. Is there anything or other ways for this to be fixed... i am 30 years old. 1.65 cm and i weight 78kg  

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did you limit the carbs in your diet?

Did you get a lot of exercise, walking or otherwise?

I don't know what to say about insulin not helping - I thought insulin *always* helps.

So I don't know what to make of the testosterone, either.  Why did you begin the testosterone? Are you being treated for anything else?

• Posted

While on testosterone i stayed home, eating burgers every night and eating chocolate from dusk to dawn. Litterally i noticed when i eat sweets my blood glucose levels go down. 

I dont walk or anything. 

Now a days: 

I dont eat a lot of carbs... just rice because our food consists rixe in almost everything. Stopped everything from sweets to fried food. And stopped testosterone. My readings are back for going higher and higher and higher... 

• Posted

Insulin shots never helped me. Never ever!! 
  • Posted

Hello Farsoun, testosterone shots are certainly not a long term solution. Great that you’re with it and noticed a difference in your diabetes. I think you’re onto something.

While I don’t think testosterone is a magical cure for diabetes, sex hormone levels can be telated to immune system function. Environmental toxins can disrupt the enfocrine system and cause sex hormone levels  to drop.

From what I’ve  seen, the biggest thing that causes low testosterone in women is adrenal exhaustion.

You say you’ve always had type 2 diabetes? If it were me, (and your diet is healthy) I’d start looking back at the time when the diabetes started and at any coincidental symptoms. I would also look at the things that stand out. Check your bloodwork for high cholesterol, it can be a symptom of hypothyroid disease and sluggish liver. Also check your bloodwork for other out of range numbers, or numbers that are nearly out of range.

Both testosterone and insulin are part of the endocrine system, along with many other glands and organs that function together. 

Certainly, you'd want to look into underlying causes of the combo of both diabetes and low testosterone. For example, liver function is crucial for healthy pancreatic function and production of cholesterol. Cholesterol is a precursor for testosterone. Continual high stress, carry over childhood truama or illness can result in adrenal dysfunction or nerve problems, which can affect hormone levels. Subacute hypothyroid disease can be partially the result of poor nutrition and can result in sluggish liver, high cholesterol and low or sporadic sex hormones.

Another often overlooked cause of high blood sugar is subacute or chronic pancreatitis. If your digestion is poor due to chronic pancreatitis, food doesn't get properly digested and sugars and other foods continue through the gut and get absorbed into the bloodstream. Chronic pancreatic can  result in gut problems, nutritional deficiencies, autoimmune disease and a myriad of non specific poor health symptoms.

You’re young. So your overall health is going to recover pretty easily. You might consider recurring mild symptoms such as a ‘weak stomach ‘ or recurring bronchitis, as symptoms that can be pieces of the puzzle of your health. These recurring weak areas can show you which parts of your body need to be looked after more carefully. For example, if you’re prone to bronchitis, you’ll want to avoid outdoor smoky barbecues even if you don’t have a case of bronchitis at the time.

Hope that helps give you some ideas of how to troubleshoot things.

• Posted

Interesting reply, yes i also have cholesterol since i was young.  Young = 10 years old... i think diabetes and cholesterol problem started around the time i got my period... ( i was 8 years old ) it used to be irrugular and i missed it for couple of years... i have micro pcos  

I do also have ibs and some mild stomach problems. If anything wrong with my stomach my blood pressure plays and panic attacks starts occuring. But this happens once in a bluemoon ( twice in my lifetime ) 2013 and now... 

I am like a lab rat for my doctors... trying all these so called solutions and ntg is working... 

Hope this might help nailing things 

• Posted

Farsoun, if you dont want to ‘be a lab rat for the docs, you’ll have to be your own lab rat. Read as much as you can. You have this wonderful thing called the internet at your fingertips! Read scientific studies, developmentsl studies, non profit sites.

It may be that you have subclinical  hypothyroid disease. The gut problems can easily lead to malnutrition. Malnutrition can really cause a lot of problems. Sound familiar? You’re eating but you feel like you’re starving? Could be because you’re not abdorbing food properly. You’ll need to get yourself some good quality vitamin and mineral supplements and essential amino acid complex.

Also, there’s  a lot of information out there about weight and testosterone, diabetes and testosterone. I started reading it all and it all seemed quite complex. And then I thought, wait a minute.  When you gain weight, your body doesn’t automatically change its hormone production. So of course gaining weight is going to dilute your testosterone, resulting in lower levels. Fat cells are known to produce estrogen, so that will increase relative to weight gain. Then the obvious conclusion would be an estrogen dominance, which could explain some of your problems.  While fat cells produce estrogen, increases in kean muscle snd eright training can increase testosterone on the body.

But you still have to get to the source of the problem. From what you say, started your period at 8? And high cholesterol? That’s very early and scary. My guess would be you live in an urban area and had exposure to toxicity at an early age. Endocrine disrupters are chemicals that wreak havoc with the endocrine system. Diet can also play a huge role in health, and it’s something you can control.  So I’d  start with that.

Mild stomach problems? You're young. Mild stomach problems shoukd be a red flag, as they generally become worse with age. Gut problems can lead to malnutrition, which can cause a ton of problems.

Toxicity can lead to many problems including (toxic) liver problems and chronic pancreatitis. 

If it were me, I’d make some dietary changes and supplement changes and get a book on hormones. I’d remove all soy and wheat from your diet and avoid all processed foods- something as innocent as salad dressing is loaded with preservatives.

You might want to read posts on thyroid and chronic pancreatitis,  as these could also be at play. You can treat with with diet, but they are different.

I can send you a private message if you'd like some resources, name of a hood hormone book...

Hope that gives you some ideas about what you can do to help yourself.

• Posted

Hi Farsoun. If you Google" diabetes and testosterone" there are a number of articles about the links between low testosterone and diabetes. Testosterone is a steroid hormone that may have increased your insulin sensitivity and metabolic rate. However these studies were conducted on men. As your type2 (insulin resistant) insulin alone will not help.

Discuss this with your consultant ie if long term testo would be an option.

• Posted

I have googled them and yes all i got was males low on testosterone have diabetes 2... fixing low testosterone destroys diabetes 2 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.