Diabetic

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was diagnosed in April and with the help of this forum have. Managed quite well have had a chest infection for 4 weeks and was  put up from 13 mg pred to 30 for 5 days am back to 13 and am ok but Dr not repeating any blood tests or doesn't seem to be monitoring me very well am waiting for ultrasound on lump on shoulder and have today been told that my blood sugar of 9.9 is a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes and could be a side effect of the pred? Also shoul I ask to see a rheumatologist I note many of you do this hasn't been offered to me. I thought I was coping but today it just seems to be one thing after another! 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jilly, this has happened to me several times - needing to put up the dose for a chest infection - you do need to make all concerned aware that you have PMR and are already on steroids, if the chest unit/doctor isn't aware they will try to reduce you too quickly as a chest infection is a short term steroid situation and most GP's are used to this, but not to a situation where we just cannot reduce as quickly as they want us to.

The first one I had I had to argue my case (very loudly) but when I went back for the next check appointment he had obviously been doing some reading as he agreed with everything I said!

I should say I have asthma which doesn't help matters, and this summer has been the worst one for me in about 10 years.

• Posted

I meant to answer your diabetes question too (I blame the heat). 

I have diabetes too (I'm just greedy), and yes steroids will cause your blood sugar levels to rise, but it can be helped (as someone else has said) by cutting carbs.  With most people the sugar levels will fall as you reduce the Pred and it really shouldn't be too much of a problem.  "Normal" levels are usually considered to be between 5 - 8, so it should really come down quite quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.