Diabetic dumping syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

In September 2014 I started having burning in lower abdomen.i was sent for endoscopy,colonoscopy and pelvic ct scan found nothing .in January 2015 doc gave me laxatives and this cured it. However two weeks later it returned followed with explosive belching, watery stools,lots of explosive air escaping when on toilet and lots of thick yellow mucus and blood from internal piles. I also get nausea after eating and my blood sugars drop then 2or 3hrs later climb back up. I also get a nasty feeling in my abdomen after eating and headache,doc gave me something to stop nausea and said she believes I have diabetic dumping syndrome and sending me on diabetic food course, how this is supposed to stop it I have not got a clue. Have reverse send eating habits every two hours instead of big meals ,tried digestive enzyme supplements and proabotis no joy still got dull ache in abdominal and the other symptoms. How she deduced dumping I don't know as I havenot had barium swallow or anything like that and at 63 I can see it spoiling retirement. Can anyone help thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I do not have diabetes, but your symptoms sound like a condition I have recently been diagnosed with & it's often called dumping syndrome - its bile acid malabsorption & can often be wrongly diagnosed as ibs. it can be diagnosed with a simple test called a sehcat scan. this involves taking a safe radioactive tracer capsule that mimics bile acid followed by a gamma scan. you get scanned again 7 days later, & they can determine if bile acid is leaving your body through your intestines as "free bile acid" (when in fact it should be recycled back to your gall bladder). if too much "free bile acid" is leaving your body it can cause the symtpoms you have, but it can be easily treated with medication. it would be worth you asking to be tested. hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi  don't have a gall bladder it was removed ten years ago. But strangely enough when I had my endoscopy they did mention my stomach had a large amount of bile. Can you still get your problem without gall bladder  and can you tell me what mess treat it so I can show my doctor. Many thanks for posting and I hope your situation is now fixed.
  • Posted

Hi robert13421

Have you had a test for Helicobacter Pylori or abbreviated HPylori.  It is a tiny bacteria that burrows into the gut wall and duodenum using its spiral tail. It can cause horrendous acid reflux, stomach pain and bowel problems also nausea.

The test can be done via stool sample or a breath test (Urea Test). Ask 

your doc if she can arrange for you to have a test. If you do have HPylori it can

be treated with antibiotics...hope this helps...best wishes....

• Posted

I honk they ruled it out on endoscopy but thankyou anyway hope you are sorted
  • Posted

Hi

I don't know if you can still have bile acid malabsorption without a gall bladder, but logic tells me if you still have bile in your stomach it's a possibility. The meds I am on is "questran light" the light one has no sugar, just aspartame sweetner. You mix the sachet with water it looks like wallpaper paste, but is very easy to take, not unlike junior disprin if you remember that from childhood! You must take it either 1hr after or 4hrs before other meds as it can affect how other meds are absorbed. I have been on it for just 8days, & am noticing improvement already, no diarrhea for 3days now!!! the generic drug is called colestyramine & is also available in capsule form but you have to take it 4hrs either side of any meds, so I opted for the sachets of questran(brand name) instead as it was easier to routine into taking my other meds. it is a bile acid binder to stop "free bile acid" going through your intestines freely as acid. good luck, hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi again,

I was reading some reviews somewhere about questran for bile acid malabsorption, & there were many people that had no gall bladder who take this medication, so it seems you can have this problem even if you have no gall bladder. I can't remember the website where the reviews were, but I just googled questran side effects. hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks loo loo 43i will look into it.appreciate your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.