Diabetic medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello

I am so pleased to have found this forum.

I am 63 and have had Lichen Sclerosus for some years and have had occasional flare ups. However, the last month or so have been ghastly, I have wanted to tear at my skin and have often been unable to sleep. I saw the consultant today who said he was a bit baffled and there was a lot going on which he would have to think about. I am still uncomfortable from the vinegar wash he put on it (no words!!). 

I have been on a new diabetic medication - Jardiance - for the last few weeks and the side effects of this are increased urination, irritation and thrush. I am weeing about 4 times a night and feel that because Jardiance makes you wee the sugar out, I feel this must be a contributory factor. I used Canestan and Vagisil, which was probably very unwise.  I have been told to just use Dermovate and nothing else and to go back to see the consultant in 2 weeks if there is no improvement. Does anyone else take Jardiance who has LS?  I have also just been told my thyroid has become very underactive and wondered if this is a contributory factor also. 

I know other people use a variety of things to calm their LS. Does anyone else use fresh Aloe Vera from the leaf? 

Thank you

Amanda

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, two things concern me regarding your post. Firstly, that your consultant was baffled, and secondly that he put vinegar on your skin.  I am pretty sure that vinegar is not a good thing to put on LS.   Anyway, I am sorry you have had to join our club but I have a feeling you need to look for a Vulvar Clinic near where you live as it sounds like you are in serious discomfort and your consultant isn't likely going to be able to help you..you will get better advice from the women on this forum to be honest.  I would definitely start looking elsewhere..

• Posted

Hello Guppy007

Thank you for your message. I have had my appointment to see my consultant cancelled so many times that I had to fight to see a consultant - any consultant. To be fair he did seem to know what he was doing (except his accompanying dr gave me the wrong prescription) and he said he was baffled because he said I had "several things going on," and "needed to do some research on it". I didn't enquire further as I didn't think I would like what he was going to say!  I take your point about asking the women on this site. I have had LS for many years, and no one has had to put a vinegar wash on it to "see it better" under the microscope (nor will I allow anyone else to in the future!!)  and no one else I have spoken to knows what LS is and how debilitating it can be.  My previous consultant examined me with one hand, and was putting cake into his mouth with his other. That I will never forget! He didn't vomit though, so that was good for my self esteem! 

• Posted

Well, I hope you manage to get sorted out...and the doctor snacking on cake is just incredible lol! cheesygrin
  • Posted

I've seen apple cider vinegar suggested as something to ease symptoms. If you google it there are plenty of references to it being soothing. I tried it in the early days but didn't find it either good or bad.

• Posted

I have just discovered this forum. My name is MARY and I live in Canada. i took jardiance for about 3 months and developed a horrible reaction with itching, discharge, and extreme red sores. I was treated with several antibiotics for several weeks. Following the infection I was diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis and have been on a cortico steroid cream for the last 3 months with no change in the discolouring or itching. I have been wearing commercial pads which have made the itching even worse. i have tried antihistamines with no relief of the itching. Tonight I found a lady who is making reusable pads. I will let you know if they help with the itching. I struggle with having a sexual relationship with my husband. Sex is enjoyable but the resulting discomfort and itching is unbearable. I am so excited to have found this forum. Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.