Diabetic neuropathy or anxiety?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, maybe someone here can help me. Well, I had a blood test done and it came back with a normal a1c but fasting blood glucose in the prediabetec range. Doctor wasn't worried and thinks it' a fluke. I had multiple tests done before then and it would come back normal. (I have pcos, so I have to get tested)

My diet has been really bad, lots of sugar and carbs. My stress levels have been through the roof. I take care of my disabled mom and combined with having anxiety, it's been a disaster. She needs a lot more care now which doesn't allow me to get out much anymore. I'm always stressed and always in a panic because of my anxiety, it causes me to stress eat. I'm sure I eat because of boredom too, I'm too tired to exercise and do much else after dealing with my mom. 

Well, I have been having pain, burning tingle feelings in my toes and fingertips This has made my anxiety worse, I can't tell if it' due to stress and anxiety or diabeties. I have been known to worry over any tiny symptom. Been to the doctors and having tests done thinking I have some form of cancer or kidney diease. I worry about diabeties because of my crap diet and being at an increased risk because of pcos. I know neuropathy normally happens from having out of control diabeties for years but I read it can sometimes happen when someone is prediabetec.

I also have blurry vision, seeing things far away. It changes, bad some days, almost normal other days. Don't know if it' anxiety and stress or diabeties. I also stare at screens a lot. My doctor laughed it off and said nothing to worry about, he said it's not diabetes and people's vision can change as they age.

I have been so obsessed with diabetes because my mother in law has stage 4 kidney diasease from not managing her diabeties. I'm scared I will end up the same, watching her health decline is scary. I always try to eat right but I always fail when the stress and anxiety get bad, which is all the time. The longest I lasted was a few months when my mom was in the hospital and I got a break from her. 

The pain in my fingers is just the tips. Both pinkys seem more normal. Sometimes my fingers burn. My toes burn, sometimes it's one foot, other times both. It feels like the feeling you get when you come inside from the cold into someplace very warm. I had this happen once years ago, toes felt like they were on fire. Doctor thought raynaud's syndrome but my fingers and toes never turned white or blue. Now its all the time. My toes feel strange when I dip them in hot water, hard to explain.

I have no other diabetic symptoms, just the strange sensations in toes, fingertips and blurry vision.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would listen to your doctor’s explanations and maybe get some help for your stress anxiety which can make you feel unwell.
    • Posted

It's hard when I have these weird symptoms. Had to go back today because doctor wanted to retest. I have been on a lot of meds for anxiety but none of them worked and yes i was on them for months. Been trying meds since I was teen.

I noticed that my hands wrinkle very slowly in water, my feet do not wrinkle. Is this part of neuropathy? I read it's a sign of nerve damage.

• Posted

If you have you hands in water for a period of time. your fingers can become wrinkled. This is normal for everyone.  I don’t think it has anything to do with neuropathy. 
    • Posted

I meant my fingers wrinkle very slowly. It normally takes 10 mins for fingers to wrinkle but mine take way longer. My toes do not wrinkle at all.
    • Posted

The time it takes for fingers to wrinkle in water varies from person to person.  My toes don’t wrinkle in water either.  This is normal.  Don’t worry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.