Diabetics Toe/feet problem

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. My mother was diagnosed with diabetics about 5 years ago. She has lost weight considerably ever since then. About 1 months ago, she complained of having no feeling at all on one of her toes. Even if she steped on pin or someone cut her on this toe, she could not feel anything. I suggested she went to see her Doctor. On geting to the clinic, the doctor suggested that she should be admitted as her blood sugar level was too high and it needed to be controled before they can do anything about the toe. They gave her different drugs which makes sometimes the sugar level to be too low. Last week she colapsed twice. A the end of last week, the doctor called me and told me they need to amputate this toe because it is infected and that was the only thing she could suggest at the moment. After several cosultations, I approved the one toe amputation.Surprisingly for me, the doctor called me again that they will need to amputate the entire feet as it has been infected and that is the only thing we could do if I do not want her to die. Please I just want to ask anyone here if amputation is the only solltion for such problem? I look really confused now.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You need to ask for a second opinion fast or accept this if there is infection they need to get it all asap. It could end up with her losing the entire limb if it is not dealt with quickly

It is common problem with diabetes.

• Posted

Sadly, if gangrene has set in that is the only option and amputations for diabetics are on the increase.
  • Posted

My understanding is that once something is infected like this then theonly option is amputation. It may seem drastic action but it will save the person's life.

Remembering you and your mother in my prayers.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

It is very often the case that amputation is the only solution for this kind of infection.  You should take your doctor's advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.