Diagnose cancer stage 4 in 60 days without any symptom of tumour.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All,

I am new here and sorry for my long post but needed your help, please !!

We are dealing with a major blow with regards to my dad health. Currently, he is been diagnose of cancer ( either Metastatic RCC or Metastatic  Urothelial Carcinoma) it present in left kidney, adrenal, lymph nodes, liver and diaphragm which was found by CT Scan + PET scan early this month.

The unbelievable part of his case is he had gone abdomen sonography in Oct’17, Nov’17 & Jan’18 and was clear and no sign of tumour /lesion in the liver, kidney elsewhere accept 1 renal/kidney stone.

Sonography was performed due to his abdomen pain he is having which is not frequent and comes and goes.

He is given palliative chemotherapy which was started 03/19 and is not going well with his health due to side effects.

So my questions/concerned is, can a person go from being relatively healthy to having cancer (Stage 4 Metastatic) in mere 60 days, it very hard for us to accept this fact and has been major turn down to my dad.

Can anyone please help advice and share their learnings? Also my father is non smoker and non alcoholic..

Good to know info:

Dad was on vacation where he got an infection and had diarrhoea and server weakness for a week and was normal thereafter, the onset of the abdomen from this very day and his colonoscopy was conducted which was clear.

His biopsy performed (renal, adrenal) unable to confirmed type of cancerand findings were necrotic cells & occasional viable cells of HMWCK and Gata3.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to learn of your father's diagnosis.  Sometimes, ultrasounds aren't good at detecting cancer.  It really depends on the machine used and the expertise of the technician.

In my situation, I had no palpable mass in my abdomen, but in three months, just before my scheduled quarterly exam with my oncologist, I found a tumor myself.  

Cancer cells are microscopic, and they travel through the body using the circulatory and/or the lymphatic systems.  CT scans don't spot them until the clusters grow larger than a pencil eraser.  Once the growths get to be a certain size, they seemingly progress rapidly--but they've been growing all along.

Once again, I'm so sorry that this has happened.  Your father and family will be in my prayers.  

• Posted

It is good to question things your doctor may say.

You said so yourself, your dad had an infection

and it would be good to know what type of infection

It was. Was it Serious, malaria? Etc...

Some infections like that may cause liver failure

I would think it may have more to do with that

Than cancer but that is just my opinion

• Posted

Also they might be in the habit of saying it is cancer

Because it involves

Tropical medicine and infectious diseases

Which is not véry common

• Posted

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, please don't take this offensively, but did the doctor say how long your dad has? You don't have to answer, I'm just a bit curious. If you guys don't know yet, I will be praying for the doctor to be cancer free and cancer will just become be a thing of the past. I'm really worried about cancer right now. I have colon cancer scares because of my symptoms but I don't see blood in stool, significant weight loss, or fever. No family history either. Also, I'm 16 (female) so that cancer is rare for people my age but I still can't help but worry. My anxiety is making my symptoms worse and more symptoms are showing. I recently learned that what I'm suffering from can be IBS, which is extremely common especially in women and people under 50. I'm really scared to go to the doctors but I'm trying CBT again. I'll pray for your family! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.