Diagnosed 2 Days Ago and Nervous

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone! I've been up and down this forum in the last 48 hours due to a recent diagnosis of SVT. I'm a 22 year old female and I have been dealing with these skipped heartbeats for the last few years. However, the skips and palpitations have been happening much more frequently over 2018 now to the point where I get one almost every day and it can be very disrupting to my life.

For a little more background, I have lost 60 pounds over the span of a year and I have about 60 more to lose until I am at a healthy weight for my height and age. I'm 5'6, currently 217 pounds and I eat a vegetarian diet. No caffeine, no alcohol ever.

I notice that my main triggers are eating breakfast (doesn't matter what it is, makes my pulse stay in the 110's for about an hour) anxiety, and eating a lot of heavy, greasy food. However, I notice that 70% of my attacks when I feel a very hard flip-flop or skipped beat is totally random and come about for no reason.

I went to the ER when I woke up out of my sleep because of one and they told me that I was in regular sinus rhythum the whole 4 hours I was in the hospital. It wasn't until I saw a cardiologist and wore a holter monitor was I told I have SVT.

I guess I'm just feeling very nervous because my father died at 52 from a heart attack and I don't want to follow in his footsteps. I'm trying really hard to keep the anxiety at bay but driving and now even the thought of getting on a plane gives me a lot of fear and makes my heart rate shoot up.

I'm sorry for the wall of text but I have been feeling kind of lost these last few days and hope that I won't have to live in fear of this thing for the rest of my life.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi im sorry for what ur going through i know how you feel i was like that 10 years ago they could not find anything but medicine worked then a year and half ago it happened again doc up my med changed my med made it worse finally seen a doc that deals with the electrical part of the heart i had svt it didnt show on monitor or ekg i had to have a cath then ablation now i find myself sick again the worst part the anxiety makes my breathing worse so im suffering again i think my svt came back good thing is its not life threatening although i feel like dying what symptoms of anxiety do u get try to stay calm

• Posted

Hi

The first thing to say is congratulations for loosing so much weight - I could do with a few tips please!

I got diagnosed with SVT when I was 28 after a few years of heavy heart beats, skipped beats (ectopics) and like you I was worried about the future.

I work in this field and SVT is not life threatening, it’s scary, it can come out of nowhere and go again as quickly. Do not link this with your father, heart attacks are completely different.

Knowing the triggers is a good thing - normally alcohol, tiredness, rich food and sometimes bending awkwardly. You should also research how to stop the SVT’s using the Valsalva manoeuvre, it will help you feel in control.

I lived with it for 10 years, but didn’t want medication. 3 years ago I had an ablation and I’ve not had any since. I was getting an attack every 2/3 weeks in the end, this was life changing for me.

My advice is to reach your fitness goal, learn the techniques to stop it without adenosine and take some advice on treatment options.

You have nothing to fear with this, take control and put it behind you.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for this response! I literally found myself searching up rare versions if SVT like Wolf-Parkinson-White Syndrome, thinking that that is what I had and it was causing me so much distress.

But reading this in combination with a lot of prayer has helped ease my mind a lot and again, I thank you for that.

I used to cough when I'd get a palpitation and that seemed to help. However, I don't normally feel my heart accelerating after I get an ectopic heart beat. Sometimes my pulse might speed up to about 110 bpm for all over 5 minutes, but that only happens when I'm nervous after noticing that flip-flop heart beat. However, the cardiologist definitely said I have SVT and that it's tracked by rhythum and not heart rate. So even if the rhythum is off for a few seconds, it's still SVT.

Haha I'm always open to giving pointers! A whole foods plant based diet help get me out of diabetic range and feeling much better now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.