Diagnosed a while ago and still struggling with my diet

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed around 2 years ago and am still struggling to identify what upsets me sometimes. I know onions are a definite no no and have cut out anything with lactose in. I peel veg and fruit and stay away from whole meal bread. I am on asacol and use the predisional foam when I'm in a flare up. I have been in remission a couple of times but it only ever tends to last a few months and then I'm in a flare up again.

My doctors don't seem to know too much about it so can't offer much advice. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had or are having the same trouble or can offer any help at all?

Thank you

sue

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,I was diagnosed  a year or more ago after lots of wrong diagnoses and months of wondering what on earth was wrong! I am also on Asacol 400,currently four tabs daily plus nightly enema. I too am struggling with foods that upset me and my doc now thinks I have IBS as well! I am having daily abdo pains and am about to try removing all dairy from my diet to see if it helps with pain. Onions and rich sauces are a no no for me but I obviously need to eliminate more to try and relieve these pains. What dose of Asacol are you on? Good luck and I will post any food triggers that I come across although I think everyone is different!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Jill. I have about 4 tablets a day and think i might need to up the dosage but I have such a busy lifei struggle to remember to take the pills. I also don't like the feeling of relying on drugs. I was very reluctant to go on them for a while. How do you find skins on things such as tomatoes, grapes, strawberries etc? I think I need to start a food diary again :-( rebadged diary, I haVe a lactose free diet at the minute but am thinking I might need to cut out diary all together but I drink huge amounts of tea and am dreading not being able to have that with milk.
  • Posted

Hi Susan,do you mean foods that give you diarrhoea or foods that give you pain? I am fortunate in that I don't get the diarrhoea that some suffer but do get a lot of abdo pains. Fruit and skins don't seem to upset me but onions,rich sauces and too many spices aggravate. Currently more or less in remission,no blood,mucus or urgency but wonder if still some immflamation causing pain. Have you tried rectal meds,hated hated hated them at first but find very helpful now!
    • Posted

Hi Jill,

i dont really get stomach pain but got the bloody, mucus and diarrhoea. 

I am am taking the rectal foam at the minute to try and help me get into remission. It usually works but it's after that it all seems to go wrong again. What rectal mess did you take?

are you cutting dairy out full stop or just lactose? 

Thanks

sue 

• Posted

Hi Susan, at the moment I'm taking 4x 400 Asacol and a nightly Pentasa enema. I feel I might still have some stubborn inflammation which is causing daily abdo pain and irritated rectum. Doctor thinks I may have IBS as well which could be causing pain so I will try eliminating dairy first then coffee etc etc.  I think working out a good maintenance regime of meds is crucial for you to maintain remission,good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.