diagnosed anemic now what..

Posted , 5 users are following.

found out this morning after blood work I either show signs of being anemic or I am.I was told to start taking over the counter 50mlg of iron.I am not really a pill fan and have heard bad things about iron pills.are there any specific diet changes that I can do instead that will be just as effective? I am not a cook either so bear with me

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had awful side effects from iron tablets and soon lost interest in iron rich foods but was recommended to try Spatone iron rich mineral water. It comes in sachets. If you put it in vitamin c rich fruit juice it goes down easier as it tastes vile. I find it best to take in a small amount of grapefruit or orange juice.

As I said it tastes bad but it worked for me.

Good luck.

• Posted

Think iron tablets (ferrus sulphate or fumerate) are the quickest way to get some iron into you. Still takes a couple of weeks or aso to get your iron levels up though.

Red meat is good for iron, too - especially liver. And some green veggies.

• Posted

Hi, i  take over the counter iron tablets daily with water ,you just need to get into a rountine ,you need to take them for 3 months before they  make any difference.l also increase the iron in my diet red meat and spinach just educate yourself on iron rich foods.It is important to sort it out there are side effects from   low iron heart palpatations.
  • Posted

If you are dangerously low on iron I wouldn't just rely on diet alone as you need to also get the correct vitamin D3 [from sun and grassfed beef/butter] you would need to eat like 3 heads of broccoli and a kilo of beef a day and even then that's not enough if you are eating a lot of dairy. I would suggest researching and making a list of the amounts of iron in certain foods and also what interferes with absorbtion [calcium] and what increases absorbtion [vitamin C] and then deciding what is easier for you. Personally I work 80% of my time so eating what I need to eat is not an option for me considering I have to keep a muesli bar in my pocket at work so I don't collapse from iron deficiency hunger [no I'm still not better so I suspect something else is going on, will have to go back to the doctor]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.