Diagnosed as osteoarthritis but I think something else!?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 62 yo non smoking male in reasonably good health who used to play many sports but first suffered cruciate ligament damage in my early 20's and so began my knee problems which is correctly down to osteoarthritis and I have dealt with the fallout over the years by taking ibuprofen as necessary when doing sport .....until recently!

About 18 months ago, I holidayed in Greece where the sun and diet normally helps my condition as i become more supple!

However, whilst there all my body joints began to hurt and it was very painful to walk anywhere and even with medication now, my knees still hurt especially when i try to participate in sport.

My sister has Rheumatoid arthritis so I had blood testswhich showed no problems as markers were showing normal so autoimmune has apparently (and thankfully) been ruled and so diagnosed by my doctor as osteoarthritis which i was not happy about! I was then referred to a Rheumatologist who having showed me my X-Rays (which shows them as having no or little cartilage) also confirmed osteoarthritis and told me to take more painkillers!!

I like to think that I know my own body and the pain I feel is more non bone on bone related!?

No-one has explained what happened to my body joints in Greece! Can osteoarthritis affect all joints at once?

Anyone else had similar problems or can help? Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you heard about Gel-One injection?

• Posted

Thanks... no I hadn't but looked it up and seems an expensive option to go private but still not sure what the problem is!

Need a proper diagnosis and hopefully get treatment via the NHS.

• Posted

There are trials being carried out at the moment into the effectiveness of Cognitive Muscle Therapy for osteoarthritis of the knee. I am on the trial (which is in various parts of the country) and can recommend it. Go on to the NHS website and search Clinical Trials. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.