diagnosed borderline copd

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 46 year old mother of 5 and 6 year old, was diagnosed with copd 15 months ago, gave up smoking, put on a serious amount of weight, have a really bad cold, trouble breathing, using salbutomol inhaler 4 hourly, is there anything else i can do to ease the symptoms other than going to gp for steroids/antibiotics

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi echo, sorry to hear that you are unwell, it must be really exhausting with two little ones to care for too! I really do think you should check in with your GP as you don't want to risk this turning into an exacerbation and possibly losing more lung function. See if you can book an \"over the phone\" consultation with him if you don't feel up to it or are busy with the children, I did this once last winter when I felt rough but just wasn't sure. I called the surgery, explained things to the receptionist and the GP called me back an hour or so later. As I was \"chesty\" and tired he said better safe than sorry and had a prescription sent through to my local chemist for antibiotics and steroids. All I had to do was go and pick them up.

In the meantime, if you are breathless, don't be afraid to use your salbutomol more frequently. My respiratory therapist told me to use it as and when needed and said it's fine to go up to six puffs instead of just two if it didn't seem to be having much effect.

If you do things over the phone with the doc, remember to impress on the receptionist that you do have COPD so need to sort it out quickly to avoid exacerbation.

Echo, I don't know what stage you are at ie, mild/moderate/severe, though I would guess you are probably mild as you have been diagnosed at a relatively young age and only have an inhaler for medication. Well done for giving up smoking as this will have made a huge difference to your future outlook. The weight gain is pretty common with COPD, not just because of giving up smoking but because breathlessness, weakness and tiredness generally has us doing less and our metabolism really slows. You must try and exercise every day once you are better, even for just twenty or thirty minutes, as this will help to get your metabolism back up, and eventually also help you become less out of breath.

All the best to you, hope this has been of some help, do let us know how you got on when you are feeling better, Vanessa

• Posted

Hi echo. I know about weight gain when you stop smoking and steroids don't help do they? Stopping smoking is a really big step and the best treatment there is so very, very well done. Ask about an inhaler called Spiriva, which is specially designed for COPD rather than for asthma like most of the others. Also, ask about any rehab exercise programmes in your area, as venessalee says, exercise becomes more difficult but more important, so do your best. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies ladies, I went to see gp yesterday and he prescribed antibiotics but no steroids which i thought was a bit odd, had a really bad day today too much going on and too much to do (i am also first point of contact/organiser for my elderly mother who has severe dementia) decided to speak to practice nurse and she was quite shocked and couldn't understand why i wasn't prescribed steroids (she is arranging that for tomorrow)upshot is i'm seeing her next week (she only works one afternoon a week) must have sounded a gibbering wreck as she gave me her mobile number as well, feel so much better about the whole thing now,

One question as i am 46 and spirometry showed i have a lung age of 62 does this mean my life expectancy is lessened, just think as my children are so young i should maybe thinking more ahead than i have been!!

thanks

Echo

• Posted

Hi Echo, see the link re prolonging life - gives good advice. However, as you are borderline do not look on the black side. I have found that clean air (NO smoking or smoky atmospheres), some exercise (as much as possible), quick reaction to chest infections (my GP prescribes antibiotics and steroids to keep ready at home) and a positive attitude (mind over matter really does work sometimes) are all helpful in the battle to stay well. If you are careful there is no reason why you will not see your children grow into adulthood. When you are not well you will not be able to chase around after them but cuddles and reading together are very enjoyable. Stay positive, look for the silver lining (eg can get rate reduction) and good luck.

Jacee :wink:

• Posted

thank you for your reply, just had a quick look lots of reading for me later me thinks!!, am going to get my steroids now so hope to feel better in a few days, this is my first serious attack since stopping smoking so found it quite shocking how much it has affected me (especially as it's half-term and i promised the kids we'd do so much and ended up doing so little)!!

Echo

• Posted

can you tell me does borderline copd from spirometery mean you have got copd

thanks .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.