Diagnosed but no meds!!???

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had symptoms of graves for nearly a year but took till June to get it confirmed. My consultant has just told me to take selenium supplements and go back at the end of September to see if there is any change! Surely this can't be right? I don't sleep very well at all, am tired all the time, my eye is swollen permanently and I suffer with bad headaches which I think are linked. Cant see properly out of one eye, I have lost weight, have no energy. Just don't know what to do next. Consultant wouldn't even discuss things with me. Thanks for reading

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Is your consultant a physician or a naturopath?  Hopefully it's a physician.  It sounds like you have Graves disease and Graves eye disease.  When I was diagnosed, I had blood tests for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 as well as for Graves antibodies.  I also had a radioactive iodine uptake test and a thyroid ultrasound.  If Graves is confirmed, you will require medication to block your excessive thyroid hormones.  I would get a new physician.  Also, while you are waiting to have all this done, one thing you can do is start on L-Carnitine 1,000 mg and Acetyl-L-Carnitine 1,000 mg. daily.  You can take them together and if you get medication added, you can also take that together with the Carnitines until your TSH level normalizes.  Then you can with your doctor's assistance, decrease the amount of medication and just continue on the carnitines.  At diagnosis I was treated with 10 mg of Methimazole (same as Carbimazole in the UK) for 2 years and my TSH blood result was not even on the map.  Then when I added the Carnitines it rose very quickly to normal levels.  Most recently, my eye irritation has abated so I think if you take the Carntines until you can get a new doc, it will help replace the carnitine that is lost in your muscles through urine in hyperthyroid patients and it should help how you feel.  Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.
  • Posted

PS to Paula

You can find the L-Carnitines in Health Food Stores or ask them to order for you.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Paula, so sorry to hear all that, why so long i cant understand it, can you not try see someone else, ive been going through it for about 6 weeks now, still waiting for an appointment with an.endoc. Consultant, getting bad headaches, feeling v.poorly and just want help to get on the right meds. It looks like you just hVe to keep pushing things, its awful to feel so poorly and we just seem to be left to suffer.

i wish you luck, but do try to see someone else. Cathy.

• Posted

No, your consultant should have given you meds not told you to pay for them yourself!!
  • Posted

Has to be said, if the 'consultant' won't discuss it with you then get another!!
  • Posted

I was horrified to read this.  Sometimes you have to make a fuss to get treatment.  I got my gp to prescribe a low dose of carbimazole while I was waiting to see the endo.  It helped a lot.  .  The symptoms can be so severe I can quite understand your concern.  Message to Linda:  I'm trying the carnitine supplements.  Thanks for the tip. 
  • Posted

I would get an appointment with your GP as soon as possible as I assume it was your GP who referred you in the first place.  If so, your GP must have suspected Graves and probably took a blood test, if so, what were the results? If you post your results, along with ranges, someone on this site will advise you.
    • Posted

Hi, my doctor actually took 3 months to refer me as the insisted I had an eye infection! It was my optician who told the gp to refer me. Then had to wait another 3 months for an "emergency" appointment where they arranged an MRI and took bloods.  Was then told would be see within 2 weeks and surprise surprise another 3 months and saw the consultant. This is the one who couldnt give me any info and told me to eat brazil nuts and take selinium supplements. He said he didnt want to give me meds as they are quiet aggresive? I have just recieved my next appointment for the end of september! Whats the point? He said I could learn to live with having a  bulging  eye because a lot of people do! Its not just that though. Its all the other things goin un treated. Am going ro see my gp today to try to get some answers. 
    • Posted

Don't let him get away with such a cavalier attitude Paula.  Disgraceful treatment. 
    • Posted

I agree with Sue, Paula. Where do you live? Can you go to an Emergency Department?
    • Posted

Paula, it sounds like you have received dreadful care so far, I hope you have managed to get some answers from your GP by now.  Put your fott down & demand to see someone else, we all have the right to 'choose & book' via NHS to go to another hospital if necessary.

In my experience you are only a number on a page, they will see you & move on quickly to the next, it is their mission to get you treated in the fasted way they can so that is one less on their books.  Also don't feel pressurised into making any long term decisions untii you are ready.

I am trying to put my Graves into remission by using natural treatment methods, this is not easy & I am yet to see some visible results but I'm certainly not giving up & truly believe I am still doing the right thing.

So my advice to anyone is research as much as you can it will empower you, remember its not your thyroid that is broken its your immune system not functioniing correctly not that any endo or doc will be interested in getting to the route cause of your problems.

All the best

Ann

• Posted

Paula, it's unimaginable to me that you have presented to your physician with the symptoms you mentioned, especially the eye problems and they don't know that it is Graves?  I met a lady at a thyroid conference here in Toronto who had a bulging eye and problems with the other eye and she told me she had seen 5 physicians before she was diagnosed with Graves.  When I told my GP that and another physician, they were shocked!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.