Diagnosed last September. Still exhausted

Posted , 11 users are following.

Since diagnosed in September I still feel so exhausted and pain varies day to day. Taking 20mg Methotrexate and Folic Acid. Will this ever improve. I'm new to group any any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I know how you feel. I started on 12.5mg methotrexate and have increased to 20mg with very little benefit. I had a big flare up so had a steroid injection which sorted it out. The methotrexate is making me feel sick constantly at the moment so I'm drinking lots of ginger tea. I've been assured that if this doesn't work there are other options such as biological treatment but due to the cost (approx 10k per year) I have to have other things before I can go onto it. However I've been assured that things will improve and I'm trying to keep a positive attitude as I know things will get better eventually. My rheumy nurse is amazing and I can talk to her about anything which helps and I know she is doing what she can to speed up the process. Hope you feel better soon - even if the treatment isn't working just yet at least you have a diagnosis so you can be treated - it took me 6 months of persuasion to see a rheumatologist because I was young so I "shouldn't" have  arthritis.
    • Posted

Hi h33919, 

I started on 12.5 mg of MTX too and am now on 15mg with no relief. In fact, I feel worse on the MTX than I did on the Leflunomide. And the MTX, like you, is making me sick to my stomach constantly. I have to be on it for 3 months before they will consider me for a 1 year clinical trial for Enbrel. I'm assuming Enbrel must be a biologic? Anyway, I hope they don't keep me on the MTX with the Enbrel. I'm tired of feeling nauseous. But I've read on here where people are on both. I'm sorry you were told you couldn't have RA due to your age. It makes you wonder about the health care system when they make statements like that, since RA isn't really like 'arthritis' but an auto immune disease and can happen to anyone at just about any age.  I'm so glad for the support of this group out here. I've learned more about RA and everything else from this forum than any of my doctors!

• Posted

Hi am new to this forum I was diagnosed with RA back last may I am on 20mg methotrexate and frolic acid I have good days and bad days more so bad days would like to know how other folk are coping with the same thing thanks.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm now on my second week of 20mg and on Monday (the day I take the dose) I felt shaky and faint as if it is like withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone else have these? Work is very stressful and my hours are increasing which doesn't help with the symptoms as that is what seems to trigger my inflammation. I'm due to go up to 25mg but at 20mg I'm not feeling much benefit. But I'm trying to be positive and work hard to prove that I can cope.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm now on my second week of 20mg and on Monday (the day I take the dose) I felt shaky and faint as if it is like withdrawal symptoms. Does anyone else have these? Work is very stressful and my hours are increasing which doesn't help with the symptoms as that is what seems to trigger my inflammation. I'm due to go up to 25mg but at 20mg I'm not feeling much benefit. But I'm trying to be positive and work hard to prove that I can cope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.