Diagnosed Psoriatic Arthritis yesterday.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

After 3-4 years, and a fight to get an appointment with Rheumatology, finally I have a diagnosis. Part pleased, part feel relieved, part feels overwhlemed and part feels particularly low, physically, but also the prospect of the future. 

I have been given a prescription for Sulfasalzine. I am more in favour of holistic, but agreed to take the script, have some thinking time and make a decision before my next appountment with the nurse in a couple of weeks.

I am not happy of it's side affects, can anyone shed any further light? I appreciate it may affect people in different ways. Ideally I would rather not take. But since this diagnosis, it is almost like my mind and body said 'you can let go now and just 'be' it is real,' which has in turn shown me how much discomfort and pain I am actually in. In alot of circumstances I try and be positive and use mind over matter.

Also, will this medication help with the actually psoriasis on scalp, feet, nails?

Cheers!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I take rosehip (pharmaceutical grade with high doses of active ingredient) and pro-biotics, in addition to the drugs.  I've been through steroids, sulphasalazine and methotrexate (now on injections - wish I'd never bothered with the tablets) and am due to start Otezla which is a brand new drug - you probably have to trial 2 DMARDS before you're eligible to go on the new drug.

• Posted

Hiya Lucynewas,

Can you elaborate on benefits of Rosehip, taken alongside the drug(s)?

Why had you never bothered with drugs & happy with injection?

Oooh! Brand new sounds promising 😉 Hoping all goes well for you!

Sending well wish 🌠

• Posted

I can't post links here but if you look up nhs rosehip on a search engine you'll find the NHS evidence review on there. It has been found to be as effective an inflammatory as ibuprofen workout the side effects.

• Posted

Lucy I think you can add links in private messages to others if that helps 

• Posted

Hi, I tried many natural supplements and creams to no avail over the past two years of trying to get some normality back to my swollen toes and painful foot, but when the other foot and a finger both swelled recently around the same time I was determined that I needed to see a rheumatologist. I could google my symptoms and find out what was wrong, but my GP didn't even acknowledge my psoriasis. The celebrex has helped a little but I worry about the ongoing damage, and thankfully am due to start MXT as soon as I get over this cold. I too am worried about being medicated long term, but I'm more worried about being in continual pain.

• Posted

No what your saying don't know what to say just keep going doctors and demand that they help you chin up hun keep me posted xx

• Posted

My son is 54yrs old he has had Psoriaosis since he was 19 yrs old after many years it developed into Athritis. He has been on lots of medication including Methatrexate

he had to come off it after the third time of trying it each time for a few months then his liver caused him problems. He has been on Humeria for few years now and he walks his dog twice a day, without it he cannot walk at all. He has it in his neck, his hips, legs, knees, fingers and feet. also his spine.

• Posted

Sulfasalazine takes a long time to work. It work for me, but I lose too much weight and change to Cosentyx, which has few side effects.

How many pills each day do you take?

• Posted

Sulfasazaline side effects not too bad hopefully you get started on a small dose. Use tgel shampoo on your scalp for psoriasis. For nails and stuff not much you can do only medication can somewhat help. The rheumo will probably put you on methotrexate and other medications as your psoriatic arthritis gets worse. Are your crp and esr levels high? If not rheumo will prob keep you on one medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.