Diagnosed today

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm brand new to this forum and was diagnosed with this, a hiatal hernia, and acid reflux. They are doing biopsies and they should come back in a few days. I'm wondering what to expect and what lifestyle changes I should make. I would appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kim, sorry to see no one has responded yet. I know how something like this can be scary. I was diagnosed a couple years ago and had a lot of stress related to it.

For me, I had to change a lot of how I eat (sometimes I do good, sometimes not). I try to avoid any red sauces as well as citrus fruit and chocolate. Also fatty high calorie foods and overeating. I try not to lay down or exercise at least an hour after eating, and never eat a few hours before bed.

For me weight loss was a goal as well since that can cause issues. So far I have lost 35lbs with more to go.

But like I said, sometimes I do well, and sometimes I don't and symptoms return.

I wish you well. Sorry you have this... it isn't fun, but it is manageable. 

• Posted

Are you on a PPi as well? I also have diverticulitis and a bit of a fatty liver as well. I have had several flare ups over the last couple of years. I'm trying to eat less and avoid carbs for the most part and when I do eat bread which makes me feel like crap I try and make it whole wheat. I've lost some weight too but I need to lose some more. The biopsies didn't show any dysplasia so that's good.

• Posted

Yeah I am on 40mg of Omeprazole. I have flare ups as well (currently going through one right now).  
    • Posted

I have diverticulitis as well as cystitis right now so I'm not having any fun. I also have a big of a fatty liver so I'm trying to make everything work.

• Posted

I understand your concerns. I was diagnosed 7 years ago and just had another Followup endo yesterday. Doc told my hubby all appeared ok but found couple of nodules he’s not concerned about. Biopsy results in a few days. I take Prilosec and sleep on a wedge pillow. I try to avoid certain foods but don’t always! Hang in there!
    • Posted

I need to buy a wedge pillow. I hope your biopsy comes back ok. Thank you for the kind words.
    • Posted

I should take a look at a wedge pillow. I have bed risers on one end (3 inches). They say a minimum of 5-6, but there is no way my wife will let me do that because she already feels like she is sliding out. The only bad thing is that I like to sleep on my stomach and can't do that with a wedge pillow.

• Posted

I like to sleep partly on my stomach with my legs in a k shape. I've been afraid to do that because of all these diagnoses. I'm just not sure what works and what doesn't anymore. Do you take a PPI as well? How do they decide which one to put us on?

• Posted

I believe my wedge pillow brand is Medline but not sure. Bought from Amazon. It folds to fit in a carrying case for travel and at the head is 6 inches high. Was around $80 or so with free shipping.
    • Posted

Good question! My first doc prescribed Dexilant but it affected my nervous system. My second and current doc has had me on Prilosec 20mg. According to him this is as good as other over the counter drugs.
    • Posted

If I had the money I’d purchase one of those Sleep Number beds where each side can be raised independently. For a time I had risers on the head of my bed, but then my hubby had no choice but to sleep that way and the covers kept sliding (and us, too)!
    • Posted

A bed like that would be awesome for this condition. If only...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.