Diagnosed w/LS ~5 years ago; new GYN wants to do biopsy...questions!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,

I was so glad to find this group a couple weeks ago! I got diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosus by the gynecologist I had been seeing for about the last 8 years. This year, I was required by my insurance to see a new GYN, and when I saw him yesterday, he said he's not sure it's LS and he wants to do a biopsy. Annnnnd I'm kind of freaking out about the biopsy. Lidocaine burns like a mo-fo and when things down below are already uncomfortable, it's hard to get on board with the thought of more discomfort let alone pain. Can anyone talk me off the ceiling on that one? Tell me about your experience? I've got menopausal changes going on as well; all in all my anatomy feels completely unfamiliar any more. I have not had issues with itching, but rather burning and dryness (despite use of estrogen cream)...which I think is what's largely behind the new doctor thinking it isn't LS. I've got vulvar pallor and a couple/few red spots (small blemish sized). This whole situation is very upsetting. sad

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your post. I apologise for feeling sorry for myself as I have fibromyalgia also which does

not help. It great to talk about it as actually I had never heard of it.

I have just got some steroid cream. Do you think I should also use the coconut oil at the same time.

I will be careful with what I eat also.

Thank you for caring

• Posted

The biopsy didn’t hurt but it was sore afterwards.  Take baths - just water no additive.  It calmed things down.  I’ve had 2 extraction surgeries of precancerous tissue.  I had a pap a year before and things looked normal then.  All of the vulvar is gone in a year. Gym says I’ve had lichen for a very long time but I don’t see how.  I had an allergic reaction to the Premarin!  In a few days when biopsy should have begun healing the area became enflaimed and raw!  They said that’s very unusual.  

My luck an unusual condition, rare cancer and alergic to the only topical medication!! 😐

Best to you on your journey.

I suggest seeing an oncologist if you have Pre cancer. Before opting for extraction surgery 

• Posted

It can’t hurt to use the steroid on the white plaques, sores or painful spots and then use the coconut oil to moisturize- the Clob is very drying. You only need a tiny amt and only on specific spots- don’t use all over! 
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your replies and the welcome! I'm still freaking out about the biopsy, but at least now I have a place to come to freak out. Reminds me of Joan Rivers' old joke: "You want to know what courage is? I'll tell you what courage is. Courage is making an appointment at the gynecologist's and showing UP!" Amen to that, certainly on biopsy day...

• Posted

Mine is October 22nd when is yours!!!! Let us know and we be there for you hang in there girl .... i let you guys know how it went.... it’s my second so. I’ll survive .... gotta go get the arss checked up !!! Just hoping it’s not cancer. 
    • Posted

Mine's the 24th of this month. So far I'm at 100% for "lying awake feeling anxious about needles and Keyes punches instead of drifting easily off to sleep" at bedtime. So I guess I'm glad (?) it's sooner vs. later. Sweet Mother of Mercy, though, I wish it was never.

• Posted

Corgis, yeah I hear you but having gone threw it.... it’s just the knowing of what the doctor is doing that is kreepy... the only thing you feel is the needle for numbing and that doesn’t last long cause it numbs fast. Talk soon... what choice do we have.? We want to have appropriate treatment... be strong xx
  • Posted

I suggest you get valium or xanax from the doctor doing the procedure so that you are more relaxed when you get there.  It will help considerably.  The whole procedure should take no longer than about 10 to 15 seconds, maybe 10 to 15 minute to anesthetize the area. I asked for lots of novicane.  The worst part was the poke of the needle, but the lidocaine there first helps.  I asked for several shots just to be sure I was numb.  The whole thing was not as bad as I thought.  Get the pills and think pleasant thoughts and it will be over.  Soaking after helps a lot.  Good luck and let us know how you fare.  It took me 2 years to get the biopsy because I am such a baby.
  • Posted

Well, survived the biopsy on Friday. That lidocaine needle hurt a lot owowowOWWWWW!!!!! I had muscles sore yesterday from contracting them during the injection(s). (Someone needs to come up with a better local anesthetic.) Anyway, he did the biopsy, and now I'm monitoring the nasty crater left behind which grosses me out. Friday it hurt enough to take a narcotic pain med, but sleeping overnight helped it heal enough to not be overly painful. Not going to be riding a bike in the next few days though!! I was told the results from the biopsy would take a couple weeks. I know I read where someone else here had biopsy samples taken from multiple places...God bless you!

• Posted

So glad it’s over! Yes, I had 6 sites taken at once and had a swiss cheese vulva for a week or so. Cool washcloth blotted after every pee, and moisture barrier applied ( aloe vera with Vit A, D, E) to protect skin from urine. I drank as much water as possible to dilute my pee and avoided anything acidic. On day 9 received my Emuaid Maxx and within 10 days all itch and pain were gone. Switched to Emuaid regular ( Maxx is very strong with 10x tea tree oil as regular). All six sites were positive for LS. 

The biopsy site will heal soon and you can address the results when you get them. 

Lower your stress, change diet ( no wheat or sugar), balance system with supplements, check in here for support and advice , and know you are not alone! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.