Diagnosed with 4.4cm Aneurysm near heart and contemplating surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I thought I'd start a new discussion because I haven't found anything about people who actually HAD the surgery.

Some background:

I'm a 54 year old Female

Fit and very active in the gym/outdoors

Non-smoker

Never Drank any alchohol

I'm just looking for some feedback from people who have had the procedure done.  How long was the recovery?  Any glaring side effects? How long has it been since you have the procedure?

I'm a little nervous about it and really want some reassurance on the subject matter.

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I am a 44 yr old female, who on 30th of June had a BAV replaced with mechanical valve, and a 5.1 cm anueurysm repaired as well. I had to have 4 litres of blood and they had trouble warming me up after, then I tried to wake up too early and they promptly knocked me out again. 

I was up and walking 2 days later,  and I had all tubes out 4 days later. I went home after 6 days.

I had some troubles with tachacardia (205 beats per minute) two weeks after surgery, but they have controlled (so far) with meds. 

One thing I can suggest is start walking after surgery...for as long as you can, every day. It will speed up your recovery. Even if it's only to the end of the block and back.

Also, pay attention to your body. Report anything unusual to your doctor, because even the minor things need to be seen to.

I am now 2 months post op and I am going back to work (part time) on the 4th September.  

Best of luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi 

I'm 49 yrs of age man Iwas diagnosed with a 7cm complicated aneursym between my Kidneys last August following a scan for Kidney stones .I underwent an 11 hour operation down in Birmingham in December where I had full open surgery to replace my Aorta from my heart to just underneath my belly button with an artificial one all blood supply to all organs had to be  re-attached by stitches made full recovery and was back at work early February considering I work in Heavy Industry I can't thank the fantastic surgical team enough .I was told without the surgery I wouldn't have seen the year out.Scary at the time but without the kidney stones wouldn't have known about it. Scary thing is before diagnosis was due to fly on holiday 4 days later Surgeon told me cabin pressure would have ruptured it.Was in hospital for 10 days in total spent a week in Intensive care marvellous team thank you.Have had Scans since surgery everything is spot on replacement lasts forever unlike stenting which is guaranteed for 10yrs which wasn't an option for me .Don't get me wrong I was petrified had never stayed in hospital before all this.But so glad I had it done just wish it could have been carried out closer to home as we live on Teesside and my daughter had to be left at home.Thank god for Kidney stones saved my life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.