Diagnosed with a rectocele following investigations for pain and bleeding when passing Stools

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone... I am 25 years old with no children and i have experienced pain and bleeding in my rectum for about 5 years now which seems to be getting worse. i have had extensive investigation for this including a colonoscopy with biopsy ( results were normal) and rectal exam under anaesthetic. The consultant was sure it was an anal fissure based on my symptoms and planned to do botox injections but during the rectal exam no fissure was seen and i was diagnosed with a rectocele. I have since had a proctogram but awaiting results.

I get the sensation i havent emptied my bowel properly when i go to toilet but when i do empty the stools are soft. i have also tried laxatives to no affect. I also have pain during intercourse on occasion and i can also feel the rectocele externally especially after a bowel movement. However, the main thing i am struggling to deal with is the stabbing pain when i open my bowels. Does anyone else experience this and has anything helped?! i have had biofeedback and end on jan having rectal irrigation. Do not feel surgery is an option given my age and having not had children. i was sure something else was the cause of my pain as consultant said bleeding and stabbing pain arent common symptoms of a rectocele.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i am 53 and had the A&P op three years ago i have never been the same since, i have a real awful burning sensation in the vagina of and on and still at times dont feel like i have emptied my bowel i think i feel better when i use one movicol one a day as i feel like i have done the best i can when i poo, note you must not strain when pooing and do pelvic floor exsercise regular it will help.

i get a stabbing pain in my bottom also

from time to time but no bleeding also picking things up is a no no as it makes it worse.

in my experience i would everything you an not to have the operation.

hope this helps

Gill x

• Posted

hi, thank you for your reply. Thats very helpful, sorry to hear the op wasn't that successful for you. But yes I have heard people can be worse afterwards so i do want to avoid it. The consultant has said he wouldn't advocate it as I haven't had children so it is likely to reoccur anyway when i do. Its reassuring that other people experience pain with it too but yes the bleeding is concerning as nowhere i can see that bleeding is a symptom of a rectocele.

thanks again x

• Posted

Hi

a frend of mine as somthing called colitus and you bleed and are in pain with that look it up and ask for a test it sounds like what you are exsplaning, you are very young for a A&P but also there is a lot of damage you can do by lifting

take care gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.