Diagnosed with Advanced arthritis in my lower spine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed with advanced Arthritis in my lower back about 5 or so years ago.  I was shocked to hear it was advanced as I was just in my early 40's when it started really bothering me.  I did figure out I had arthritis in my fingers for years before but just didn't think it would ever spread or anthing like that.  I went gluten free and the arthritis went away in my fingers but still bothers me in my back when I have to do lots of walking or lift anything heavy or do lots of bending over.  I have managed to keep the inflamation out of it for a long time.  I am just wondering if anyone in this forum has ever had a shot of cortozone or anything to eleviate the pain.  I would love to get back into working out and walking lots but whenever I try it always turns into major pain in the sacrioliac joint area.  (sorry for spelling errors)  I have done muscle imbalance exercises and it has helped but I start exercising and it starts hurting all over again.  I want to stay in shape but just can't figure out a way without pain.  Can anyone give me any advice...appreciated.  I try to stay away from pain killers as I get a bad reaction.  

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have osteoarthritis in my back I was in my late 40s when I started with back pain.

After 3 operations numerous injections,pain blocks.I could go on.

I find a tens machine very good.

I now have been fitted with nerve stimulator with remote control, helps me with the pain.

Sorry you are having problems with painkillers.

I can't take diclofenic or anything like it.

I have tried many and found paracetamol and codine the best.

• Posted

Hi there!

Cortisone seems to work very well for some people and not that well for others. My shot of cortisone lasted four days (right knee), but my hairdresser had a shot of cortisone in her left thumb joint that worked so well that even a year later she is PAIN FREE!

I've heard of many success stories as well as many not-so-successful outcomes.

I was glad I TRIED the shot. At least I TRIED seeing if it would help.

Four years since I have had two total knee replacements. THOSE help A LOT, but I still have arthritic pain in many other body parts!

My aunt (knee, hip and shoulder replacement candidate!) says while her OTHER arthritic sites still ache, her REPLACEMENT sites feel GREAT!

Arthritis is a weird disease! Pain is often random, and weather can reek havoc with pain from it. Various treatments work for some and not others.

I try and stay away from pain killers as much as possible, too. I completely stay away from anything with narcotics in them. My body reacts badly to narcotics!

I HAVE HAD good results from Icy Hot roll-on especially on my lower back. The roll-on is easy to use, and it acts as a "counter-irritant" tricking the body into transferring pain signals into signals of feeling warmth which pretty much cancel pain...at least for a few welcome hours. The Icy Hot buys me several blissful hours of sleep when my lower back acts up.

Warmth of Polar fleece throws help a lot with my whole body. Cold, for some reason really makes the arthritis achy feeling hit, so bundling up helps me as does a nice cup of tea.

I try to stay positive to get the endorphins going which help with pain.

I also pray, try to remain calm, and keep moving around. Staying too long in one position will make me very stiff. Stiffness leads to more PAIN. Not good!

I DO take over-the -counter Ibuprofen several times a day. Often when I overdo it I get more PAIN.

I hope you will get relief very soon!

Take care!

• Posted

I bought heat electric heat pad and it's great makes you relax and help.I found being refered to the pain clinic really helpful.

They understand more...holly

• Posted

I have suffered from OA of the lower spine since aged 40, condition of my spine is 20 years older than the rest of my body. I also have OA in my knees, i have had my left one replaced twice, both times a total knee and my right one needs a partial one. I take Gaberpentin for nerve pain and Nefopam and Codeine which helps with sleep. With the spine i find gentle stretching exercises the best especially in the mornings. I have learned to pace and limit myself. As for cortisone injections i had one in my spine and it didn't help at all. I have the option of trying these for my right knee. Cortisone can help some people so its worth a try, my consultant said it may help my knee even thou it didn't help my spine. Everything is about trial and error .Arthritis is a very debilitating disease. 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I have OA in my spine and they tell me an op is out of the question. The pain is terrible. I have just about tried everything and Cortisone did help me MOST of the times that I had an injection I am waiting for one now. I can't walk, go round the shops, anything enjoyable but I too do exercises, don't laugh, I've just got out my Terry Wogan exercises which I got apparently in 1971 when I didn't have OS. They are gentle and if you do gentle yoga like I do the exercises are the same. I think you may find them on the NHS website, if not, let me know.... My flexibility is unbelievable and at first no-one believed me that i had OS until I had proper MRIs and saw someone who knew what they were doing.  But.... too much cortisone is bad for you, I'm not looking it up lol, I don't want to know....I've also had a TENS machine, hot water bottle, heat pad - 

I have had every pill known to man I think and the exercises are the best

I think the surgeon has said on his report that I want a nerve stimulator fitted, can you tell me anything pros and cons?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hello Enna,  keeping as mobile as much as possible is the best and gentle exercises. I have not tried yoga as i have problem with both knees not sure its possible for me. I have not heard about a nerve stimulator.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

If you do stretching exercises its the same as yoga.  Not thinking of the nerve stimulator yet yuk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.