Diagnosed with afib and on medication

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,IM 33 years diagnosed with afib and im on medication for it seems to be working well.My question is anyone diagnosed with afib drink alcohol i was just wondering i havent had a drink in years because i was scared to but i just want me a nice drink from time to time can anyone give me any insight

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think it may depend more on your meds than anything else, tell us here what you're taking, but also of course talk to the pharmacist and doctor.

I'm pretty sure that a drink or two is OK in most cases, but you should check it out.

• Posted

thanks for the reply i spoke with my doctor about it he said that a few drinks would not hurt as long as i dont over do it.I havent worked up the nerve to drink yet but i quit smoking but i feel like i need a drink every now and then to cope with this its driving me insane

• Posted

Hi B. I have found that everyone has different triggers that set off their AF. it takes time to work them out. keep a food diary and check the ingredients. I found if l had something liquid that had something in it that affected me l would get AF in a few hours; with food it took up to 24 hours. Alcohol does affect me. if l dont have any for a fortnight then l am ok with one or two drinks. Good luck on your journey of discovery.

• Posted

I have had AF for over 20 years now and I have tried no alcohol, a little alcohol, different types of alcohol etc. Even though I am a scientist I still find it very hard to know what does and doesn't work. What I do know is the following :

Lots of alcohol is not good for AF

No alcohol does not eliminate AF

Red wine seems to be particularly related to AF onsets

So my solution is to drink perhaps no more than 6-10 units per week. This is spread over 3 days, I usually have 4 alcohol free days and never binge. But AF seems to be a very personal journey so just see what works for you and indeed make sure you check with your Doc to check for interactions between alcohol and medication. Finally as an aside, the best friend you have with AF is a regular good night's sleep,

• Posted

I have had AF for over 20 years now and I have tried no alcohol, a little alcohol, different types of alcohol etc. Even though I am a scientist I still find it very hard to know what does and doesn't work. What I do know is the following :

Lots of alcohol is not good for AF

No alcohol does not eliminate AF

Red wine seems to be particularly related to AF onsets

So my solution is to drink perhaps no more than 6-10 units per week. This is spread over 3 days, I usually have 4 alcohol free days and never binge. But AF seems to be a very personal journey so just see what works for you and indeed make sure you check with your Doc to check for interactions between alcohol and medication. Finally as an aside, the best friend you have with AF is a regular good night's sleep,

• Posted

I have dabbled with alcohol and AF for the last five years.

I had an ablation just over three years ago and was told no more than three standard drinks per week!

This horrified me as was used to having 3-5 drinks , three to five times a week! (and would have a handful of REALLY BIG nights per year as well !)

I suspect that alcohol tolerance and AF is a very individual thing, and there would be no 'one size fits all's ' kind of answer to this question.

For me, it would seem that the less overweight I am, the more tolerant my heart seems to be to alcohol.

I'm currently 10kgs heavier than my cardiologist would like, and am noticing that I get a lot more ectopic beats if I have more than one or two drinks ATM.

when I'm Fitter(and lighter) I can usually have three or four drinks, two or three times a week without any issues.

Everybody will have different sensitivities to alcohol, so if you're going to 'test the water', do it gradually and exercise caution.

(DISCLAIMER: Any advice given is strictly anecdotal. I am a primary school teacher, not a doctor! 😀)

• Posted

I have dabbled with alcohol and AF for the last five years.

I had an ablation just over three years ago and was told no more than three standard drinks per week!

This horrified me as was used to having 3-5 drinks , three to five times a week! (and would have a handful of REALLY BIG nights per year as well !)

I suspect that alcohol tolerance and AF is a very individual thing, and there would be no 'one size fits all's ' kind of answer to this question.

For me, it would seem that the less overweight I am, the more tolerant my heart seems to be to alcohol.

I'm currently 10kgs heavier than my cardiologist would like, and am noticing that I get a lot more ectopic beats if I have more than one or two drinks ATM.

when I'm Fitter(and lighter) I can usually have three or four drinks, two or three times a week without any issues.

Everybody will have different sensitivities to alcohol, so if you're going to 'test the water', do it gradually and exercise caution.

(DISCLAIMER: Any advice given is strictly anecdotal. I am a primary school teacher, not a doctor! 😀)

• Edited

I agree. BTW I believe a big night and a really bad Hangover was the cause of my first AFIB . The other thing was It started a week or two after I had the Covid 19 Booster. My Cardiologist said they don't know enough to rule that out as the cause. I also have a family history of it.

• Edited

I was advised not to binge drink (when I asked my consultant if a planned visit to the Munich Oktoberfest was a good idea......spoiler...it wasn't) but a beer or glass of wine of an evening or with a meal was fine.

In addition to AF I am on long term treatment for TIA and consequently am on blood thinners, currently Dabigatran, and this was the main concern with drinking on an industrial scale, so your situation may allow for a more generous application of the amber fluid.

I would however consult your doctor, not some random drunk on T'Internet.

• Posted

I'm 36 and was recently diagnosed with afib about a month and a half ago. I was already on Blood pressure meds so I was instructed to take a daily aspirin. I was doing great up until a few days ago when I decided I was feeling well enough to have about an ounce and a half of liquor which is a shot and a half I felt normal enough until I reached home and had an attack. It took a few days for my heart to settle down although the attack lasted only about 10 minutes. I have been struggling to keep my hr below 100 and I've been suffering from headaches. sometimes the alcohol isn't worth it. I did some research and the type of liquor I drank had 4 times as much alcohol as one beer. So now I plan on staying away from it period. Good luck on finding your tolerance mine is Nil.

• Posted

Good Question. I would also like to have a couple cocktails. I went into AFIB about a year and a half ago. Fast beat not Sic Sinus. On eliquis and a few other drugs. That didn't stop it so i had the Cardioversion and that worked for about 3 days. Then i had an ablation and that worked for 24 hours. I then had another Cardioversion and that's been good for almost a year now., Knock on wood. Now about drinking. If you google it the AMA and most sites say not to. I think they just want people not to drink so they scare you so you won't. It works. I'm scared to have any drinks after reading the sites. Not that I think it's going to kill me but i don't want to have to go through all that s**t again. My Cardiologist said have a drink. One. What fun is that really. What I think is you can have a few but not enough to cause a hangover is what's bad. Dehydration and Hangovers are the problem in my opinion. Thing is I'm still reluctant to even have one drink, though I did have one glass of wine Christmas night. Sorry I don't have a good answer. I guess moderation is always a good idea and even more so if you have AFIB. I miss hanging out at a good tavern

• Posted

BTW You're 33 and I'm Approaching 67 so there's a big difference there. My advice is try one or two drinks and see what happens

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.