Diagnosed with anaemia before heavy menstruation should I worry?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'' 38, vegetarian, and have semi regular blood tests due to a fluctuating thyroid condition.

My December bloods showed I was low in iron. I bought a supplement but didn't take it regularly and the whole thing slipped my mind.

So I had bloods done almost two weeks ago and my doctor called me in last Wednesday to tell me my iron was very low, and approaching a level where she would recommend a transfusion. I cannot remember my actual levels. So I've been taking iron supplements for a few days now, but I started my period only a day or so after my blood was drawn, and instead of ending after a week or so, it increased in glow this week.

I''m still bleeding and feeling really tired and headachy.

Should I be concerned? What are the chances that my iron levels have dropped to a more serious level?

Thanks for any help-sorry i''m a bit vague with actual numbers.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen

If you were low on iron in December I would reccomend follow up tests (every 2 months) that way you can really see what has happened to your iron levels. 

The transfusion may just be iron and it can be a very effective way of getting your iron levels back up. 

• Posted

Sounds like your doctor is more helpful then mine! Due to my menstrual cycle lasting 2-3 weeks a time my iron was at 3 for a year. Doctor threw me on tablets with monthly tests. Now it's on 20 and doctor not worried even though it should be 25+ minimum!! If your doctor puts you on tablets ask for ferrous gluconate. They are much milder on your tummy! Shop bought iron won't such anemics! Shop bought = 30mg? Doctors tablets = 150-300mg. Hope you get it sorted, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.