Diagnosed with Aortic Root Aneurysm

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone, I have been recently diagnosed with an aortic root aneurysm that is 5.7 cm - I'm feeling like a ticking time bomb sad

I am grateful that I was able to read the comments in this section where some of you indicated that your aneurysm was larger, and you seem to be doing well. Thank you for that.

I was told that they like to do surgery when the aneurysm is 4.7 to 5.1 cm so when they told me mine was 5.7 cm I was terrified it would rupture any moment. That was March 31st. 

I have seen a surgeon and have been advised I will require open heart surgery - minimal invasive surgery is not an option for me. He is having a CT scan and an angiogram done which will be in the next 2 months. He indicated surgery would be 4 - 5 months after that. 

All this started from a trip to the emergency care due to racing heart. It took 3 trips and 3 different doctors before one hear a murmur and connected me to a cardiologist.

I am 61 years young wink and am pretty healthy. I am obese, have always struggled with my weight, and I have high blood pressure which has probably saved my life (I think my blood pressure had been peaking and that may have been what made my heart race - the doctor has added meds to what I was taking).

My question - is there anyone with an aortic root aneurysm that is 5.7 cm or larger. Currently, or that has already repaired?

I look forward to joining in some discussions.

Have an amazing day, everyone!

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As an aside, I just found out a relative of a good friend of mine had a 10.5 cm Thoracic AA, and it did not rupture! The day they found it, they obviously treated him to immediate emergency surgery and he is doing fine years later now.  10.5cm...wow.
    • Posted

Wow is tight! I think the largest I have heard of was 8.5. So we can both feel pleased that there are others with worse conditions s that have had their treatments and are doing well.

Good news! 😊

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I have an ascending aortic aneurysm diagnosed last october after having chest pain and a ct for shortness of breath.  I have seen 3 cardiologists also.  Knowing is a big burden sometimes, but when i feel scared I remind myself that Im lucky, most people are running around with one and never know until they rupture.  You are in good hands, they will replace the aorta and you will feel well soon.  I have been monitoring my stress (recently declined a promotion) and my blood pressure.  Looking forward to repair and not rupture.  I wear an aortic aneurysm awareness bracelet to remind me that Im lucky and I need to take care of myself.  I was told not to lift anything that causes me to hold my breath and that is anything over 35 lbs.  Also I take valsartan daily and a baby aspirin.  I do not smoke and do not have marfans or anyother genetic disease, and I do not have tertiarty syphilis(married 27 yrs) and I am 56 years old and my BMI is 25.76.  I am going to reduce some weight and walk more often.  Look forward to tomorrow, you willl wake up and be ok.  Dont listen to negative discussions about aneurysms and trust in your surgeons hands.  He or she will help you.  I feel confident in my care, knowing I have support and will not let this end my life.  Cheers to you

Get well soon! The other advice from my doctor is no caffeine and reduce sugar and salt and carbohydrates, include more vegetables...Ok I like chocolate so now Im buying the pricy ones and limiting those to my pm splurge. Try XOXO ginger bars so yummy!

Suzanne

• Posted

Thank you so much, Suzanne. Everyday I am grateful for the life I have.I have less anxiety now then I did when I first found out.

We have a family vacation coming up and I am going to enjoy each moment. 😊

• Posted

Two weeks ago yesterday, I had aortic root replacement. I am a healthy 57 year old (other than the fact I have Marfans!) and have known and been monitored for several years for this condition. My aortic root remained stable for a few years, but in the last year it had begun to progress and in June it was about 5.3.and my cardiologist recommended me talking to a surgeon. Lucky for me, I live in a city with excellent medical center and Doctors that are on the cutting edge.The surgeon recommended valve sparing aortic root replacement  in the near future, I didnt want this to become an emergency as risks increase significantly. He told me to choose a time in the next few months when it was most convenient for me and my family. So I had it about 4 weeks after meeting with him. My 27 year old daughter had this exact surgery 16 months ago, with the same surgeon, so I had seen first hand the recovery. She did great and was totally back to normal in about 3 months. She did have severe pain in her neck and back for a couple of weeks, but not much pain involving her sternum or incision.  The surgeon told me that I might even do better than my daughter because he said women in their 50s and 60s tend to recover quicker than younger people. He was right! My daughter is amazed at how quickly I have recovered. I only spent 3 night in the hospital (first night in icu). They did give me the choice of staying an xtra night, but I felt I would be more comfortable at home. (I only live 10 minutes from hospital).  For the 1st week home, I was a little uncomfortable and very tired. I do have an adjustable bed which has been a lifesaver since lying flat was pretty uncomfortable. Yesterday, was 2 weeks post op and I am totally off prescription pain medicine and only taking Tylenol. I have been rather aggressive about getting up and taking short walks with friends and family, I feel like keeping yourself moving, even slowly will speed recovery. With every day, that passes I feel better and stronger. I will be starting a cardio rehab program next week which will monitor my heart as I incorporate exercise back into my lifestyle. I don't think I'll be jogging or playing tennis in the next few months, but I am thrilled at how well I am doing. I had to have total faith in God and my doctors because 

I knew I was going to eventually have this surgery and I would rather do it by choice than wait til it became an emergency and possibly end up with some debilitating side effects. I want to live long enough to see my grandchildren grow up! Went to Cardiology appointment with my 25 year old son today and he measures 5.7. I am hoping he chooses to have the surgery soon, but it is a little more difficult decision for him. Surgery is a scary thing. I thought I would share my positive experience to maybe encourage others who may be fearful. 

• Posted

Hello Carrie, so sorry this reply is so late. I haven't been active lately in the forums. Trying to keep busy.

Thank you so much for this informaiton. When you know of someone who has gone through the same surgery and their diagnosis is so similar to your own, it helps reduce your fear. I am grateful to everyone who has offerred their experience and provided hints for recovery, etc.

I am still waiting for a date for surgery. Hoping it will be soon. I have not been checked since my original echo in March, so that is a little worrisome. The surgeon's office said they hoped for surgery in September, but that is not to happen. Perhaps October...we shall see. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.