diagnosed with barrets esophagus and very worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my name is dean i am 28 years old. I have suffered from a bad stomach for about 4 years now . And been doctors on and off with it. Eventually i had a gastroscopy or shud i say ive had loads done . I was diagnosed with barrets esophagus about 1 year ago . And all i keep hearing is how bad it is. And eventually im going to get cancer. To be hinest i was a very healthy lad and kept fit. Now i feel ruined inside with it . Also jusy been diagnosed as lactose intollernet also carnt eat any wheat . Diary. Alcohol gluten etc . So im just totally lost. Also after every time i eat , my stomach is in bits .bloated all the time bad heartburn and gas . I just wondered if anyone suffers the same or has any advice. 

Would greatly appreciate any..

Thanks dean

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dean,

The diagnosis may sound bad, but don't believe everything you hear and read, I did that once and I regreted it. You can read more about your condition on this site:  https://patient.info/health/barretts-oesophagus-leaflet#

I can honestly say I had cancer 6 years ago, I got just under one more year in remission and I'm classed as clear. I had a colonoscopy back last year and had a polyp removed (non-cancerous), but that is what you would be looking at being done more often. I had many CT scans after having cancer removed, blood tests, etc... it's all normal practice these days if you are more than likely to get cancer. Hospitals keep an eye on you a lot more, anyway its better to be safe than sorry. By the way, I am 50, and been through hell and back with operations - I had to give up work in my early twenties, being a danger to myself and others.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les thanks alot for replying. I understand you shouldnt read up can honestly make things alot worse. But after being diagnosed the doctors didnt even tell me what it was really , just left me in the dark . Its just the problem i have,  i carnt eat any meal with out being a mess .in discomfort stomach making noises very bloated and bad heart burn no matter what i eat. It just gets me down . Always feel run down tired. As for what to eat i havent got a clue what i am allowed .because most things i want to eat they say i have a allergy to them . 
  • Posted

Dean, soory to hear about your BE and stomach troubles...I agree with Les..hopefuly you've read the link he provided.

As Les pointed out...you can heal..not easy...not fast...your advantage is your youth...be prepared this could be 18 to 24 months to resolve...unless you stumble with a beer or similar.then it's back to the beginning.

a few immediate suggestions:

1. take slippery elm 20 to 30 minutes before breakfast

2. take DGL 20 to 30 minutes before lunch and again evening meal.

Food> No very acid fods, no milk products, no chocolate no fruit juices etc..

Eat small and easy digestables (80% alkaline 20% acid) but with adequate nutrition to maintain health.

Pre bedtime 500 mg of Milk Thistle, ....Sleep ...head and shoulders elevated and on your left side.

Drink 9+ PH water.as often as you can...actually sip it.

(be sure the above supplements come from a reputable source)

If your on a PPI...and not Dexilant, get it.

Keep us informed....most BE patients have found the above very helpful...and over a period of time, weened the PPI and increasing the DGL...and a few others..

Claudio

• Posted

Hi claudio thanks very much for the advice. It is greatly appteciated. Just dont no what to eat. I am losing weight constantly.  I have lost about 7 pound in the last 3 week .by not being well and not manging to consume lots of food. Can i ask what is DGL please. As for slippery elm i got told abou5 that by a nutritious and they recommend this but didnt no what it was. I currently take omeprazole twice a day. And as of yesterday i have started to take vitamin b complex. Barley green leaf. Digestive enzymes and milk thistle . Only 1 day in .thanks again for your advice it all helps .

• Posted

Hi Dean,

Believe me losing 7lb in 3 weeks is nothing compared to what I lost weight-wise in hospital. I went in to hospital with a weight of around 14st, but having nil by mouth for several weeks and the odd sip of water didn't help. I was kept on medications intravenously since that was the only way they would stay down.

When I was finally released from hospital, my muscles were hanging off me. It took well over 12 months to get anywhere near my ideal weight which was round 13st (I am over 6ft, by the way!).

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

I no its not good losing weight . Hopefully things will get better .thanks again
    • Posted

Dean, you need to quickly get with what I suggested...get the dexilant in stead of the omeprazole...but stay on the omeprazole until switched.

Milk Thistle will help inflammation and stimulate the liver, since the liver metabolizes the PPI, Milk Thistle will help the process.

What to eat...I've mentioned several basic foods and process on a few threads...this is what "worked for us".

everything was cooked, put thru a blender...less stress on the stomach

and more easily digested...Leafy Greens...spinach, chard, celery, asparagus big time, carrots, occasional beet, used "soup bone" boild for 2 hours, used the liquid for the puree, soup, and for poaching any fish or meats (initially not for 2 weeks) used chicken breast and occasional turkey breast..minced, put thru the blender with the vegetables. we did 4 to 5 meals a day...tasking amount by stomach condition not by HUNGER Pangs. try to judge 80 % alkaline vegetables to 20% acid proteins...

Oh, absollutely nothing hot, cold or raw...no milk products. After two weeks, you can gradually add an item cooked of course but not blended, to see how it goes....don't do more than one otherwise if negative you won't know which? No bottled or canned anything,nothing pre prepped.

No juices unless you make your own and the alkalinity is above 6.5PH.

Get a PH Probe..not Expensive..here in the US $20 on Amazon..reclibrate it once a week.

AGAIN...get DGL and Slippery elm...15 to 20 minutes pre each meal..sip 9+ PH water...

I've done this all on top of my head without going to my diary ..so probably missed a few...will adjust once your on a program...use a diary, its very helpful. Wife lost weight from 124lbs to 95lbs before we began the above...she's up to 104lbs..no stomach issues but yet has some inflammation near her duodenum best I can judge...this will take several months to clear.(no issue) when lightly 4 finger touch can sense a "hurt"..not normal...but stomach is not hard..meaning we've achieved lining integrity...Let us know when you start so we can have a bench mark..and others can offer their help...Claudio

• Posted

Hi dean you poor love you are having a hard time of it and so young too, I suffer badly with stomach acid and it's no joke, it's horrible, surely the doctor gave you meds when you first got this problem four years ago, that should have stopped it getting to barrets  stage,   With all your intolerances going on, it is so hard to realize your lifestyle has to change especially the drinking part, if you are used to going out etc, but, try and be positive, tell the stupid condition to sod off your bigger than it is you can get control of your life again, you can make the importants changes to eating etc, and your not going to let it get you down,....look up some natural home remedies fir each thing on google there are great alternatives for things, apple cider vinegar treatment cures sooo many things it's amazing, I hope yo get to grips with it all, tell yourself you can do it, your so young, you have your whole life ahead of you x
  • Posted

Hi Dean

Just been reading up on you. You are not alone in this, I also have gut issues add then last year was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus. It's scary but be positive. If you take care of what you eat it can help. Like you lactose, dairy, glueton and wheat free, not easy but you have to set your mind to it and it's possible. I was told to try the fodmap diet which has helped eliminate lots of my bloating. Read up on it and see what you think. It does not hurt to look into it. Just because you have this condition does not man you will have cancer, look after yourself and what you eat. Nothing which has acid, hot and spicy can damage the osphecus. I will be checked out every 2 years. You should be able to get tablets from doctor to help with the gasses and acid issues. Wish you luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.