Diagnosed with Benign Essential Tremor

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there,

Ive recently been diagnosed with ET, just wondering what type of tablets people are on to help? if there are any certain diets/exercises that might help control it too?

thanks

Jay

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Ihave dystonic tremor that is mostly diminished by taking propranolol, hope that helps xxx

• Posted

Hi, I have had ET since childhood. Propranolol certainly helped but it is not for people with asthma. It is my understanding that there are no medicines specifically for ET. Most drugs prescribed are intended to treat epilepsy. I found that Zanax helps but is not for everyday use as it can be addictive. The only advice I received from my doctor was to avoid Caffeine. Extremes of temperature and stressful situations can make ET worse. There is a useful website run by the National Tremor Foundation. I hope this helps. Best wishes

• Posted

I've had essential tremors for a few years now. I am on a combination of propanalol, amantadine, and primidone. The combo works well for me. If i miss any one (especially propanalol) I will have issues. Still can expect some flare up with any stress to the system, mental or physical. Over exertion, lack of sleep, stress, just over doing in general (holidays 😊)

• Posted

Just work out and encourage good body blood flow. Put yourself in a good mental place. Things will work out for you if you do these things.

• Edited

It seems with ET, you truly must train your brain to stay calm. Lot's of lifestyle changes...for the better (silverlining). I'm waiting to see a Neurologist. I have most of the tell tale signs of ET. I hate that it's in my neck and the no,no tremor is there...but It has not affected my hands. I can go from obvious shaking to anyone to no shaking at all with some hard mental work. Though, I'm in early stages. Good Luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.