Diagnosed with BPPV a week ago

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

Iniatally my doctor thought that i had Ménière's as I have been suffering since October 2016. The wait time on the NHS was 20 months so I took matter into my own hands and went private.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

I went to the private ENT appointment (£185) the Dr was very good, had a peep in my ears and all was good. He took a note of all my symptoms. He did a couple of tests and made me dizzy and feel ill. He did the Epley Maneuvre (major dizziness and eyes flicking) and i was then send to audiology for a hearing test and my hearing is perfect in both ears.

His conclusion was that I have BPPV in my right ear. He said to cut down on the betahistine from three 16mg tablets to two per day as they didn't really do anything. He said that with time the BPPV will go away by itself or I could do exercises that would help shift the crystals and help with dizziness.

I totally forgot to ask him about the buzzing (tinnitus) in both my ears? Is this common of BPPV and if so will it go away also?

The day after I was feeling ok til I did the exercises recommended and then I was vomiting and ill and slept for two hours. I had to take a Buccastem, the next day I was wobbly and sick and very dizzy. I had to take two more Buccastem that day.

I am feeling ok now but it took 3 days for me to feel myself again. I am still taking three Betahistine per day and scared to cut down... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. S.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You say you feel,ok now. Do you mean you are not dizzy anymore?  Seems a shame to spend all that money and still not be better though.  Am sorry to say ENT's aren't really the best people to see for our condition. You need to see a Neuro Otologist. Where do,you live in UK?

• Posted

Hi Gillian, thanks for responding. When I say I feel ok now I mean that I am not vomiting anymore after the disastrous exercise session...never again!

I still feel pretty shaky and still suffer from vertigo, bunged up ears, sometimes painful twinges in both ears, sensitivity to loud noises and buzzing in both ears. I am also exhausted and need to be in bed by 8pm which is awful. (Sleeping, turning my head, washing my hair, Looking up all make me dizzy and ill, resulting in me needing to sleep for a couple of hours and being out of sorts for days after) I avoid doing most of these as I know the out come.

I live in N.Ireland and the ent and audiology wait time was 20months. That's why I went private. I never even heard of an Neuro Otologist. Must look it up. Should I ask my dr for a referral or how does that work? Hopefully it's not a matter of another private appointment again... so expensive.

I have had a CT scan and results came back clear.

Any info about treatment for bppv I would be so thankful for. S

• Posted

Ok,,i've  a look on line for Neuro,Otologists in NI but cant seem to find one.  However i've sent a couple,of requests to two,sources, but probably wont get a reply until Monday earliest.  Meanwhile on the BPPV, have a,look at the following website.  VEstibular Disorders Association, Veda. They are great source of info on all the different kinds of vertigo related disorders, BPPV, Menoers, Mal DemEmbarquement, Vestibular Neuritis etc etc.  The Epley Maneuvre doesnt necessarily help, and if you dont have BPPV can make you feel,worse.  BAsically BPPV is to,do with crystals, well calcium deposits  in your vestibuar area that become dislodged and cause havoc.  Bit read up about it on Veda (They also have a Facebook page, but the website is more comprehensive and informative). Am sorry to say we have to,do,our own researxh as drs (Even some private ones) arent up,on it.

the reason, btw, i asked whre you are in UK is because there is a great Balance Centre, clinic in Leicester Infirmary Hospital,i think. Heard good stuff about it. It might be cheaper getting a Ryan air over to them that another private dr eh?

• Posted

This is wonderful, thank you so much, I will def check out all this. Yes, I felt a little left in the dark after the ent appointment and felt I didn't really get my money's worth. I have checked out some sites and there really is a lot of brilliant information out there.

Many thanks! S.

• Posted

Dont worry we have all gone thru this one way or the other with  Drs. Yes lots of info,especially now,it's becoming more,common,which makes me wonder why?  Do you find itmgets worse if you are on screens too mu h? If,so, try amd give them a rest as much as poss. Your eyes will be working overtime now as they work with your hearing and vestibular system to keep,you balanced (Even when you're just sitting), so they are taking up a lot,of,the slack.  I also have tinnitus,had it a few years before this in fact, so whether it's connected or not,i dont know. Some people,dont have it but still have dizziness.  If,you get a feeling of 'swollen' head, imjustbuse a cold pack on the upper back,of myhhead, eg nape, seems to,bring it,down to a more bearable,level!

• Posted

I'm actually not on gadgets that much. I find symptoms are much worse on days where I am more stressed out. I haven't slept properly since this whole thing started so I try to go to bed early as I am so shattered and also because I will be awake off and on throughout the night. I find that the buzzing in my ears wakes me up and it's terribly hard to get back to sleep.

The ENT dr said I have this probably as a result of a virus. Yes, the more I read the more I have become aware of the number of people who are suffering similar symptoms as myself and I feel guilty as a lot of people are having a worse time than me. I guess i am just trying to find a way to deal with my symptoms and try to lead as 'normal' a life as possible. I have young kids so have to rally and can't be ill for their sakes. I guess it's all just a learning process and trial and error. S.

• Posted

Thats good. Just use for research on this. The buzzing in ears does kinda feel less 'noisy' when you are used to,it, but if you can afford it, another thing to,look for on line is something that you can have on in the background when you're going to,sleep. I've,thought about this myself and want to,loook onto that 'white noise' thing. But, any sounds you find relaxing, waves, etc that kind of thing.  I find one of the important things with all this is to try and relax,(Yes i know!), and with kidsmit must be extra hard as they wont understand.

try admd find ings that make life easier, whether it be cooking, housework, whatever. I discovered i dont need to,iron everything since this started, haha! My dinner tonight will be a baked potato in the mike,  already cooked meat i slung in the oven earlierthe day and quick green beans!!  I cut my veggies and anything i can do, sitting down as for me standing and looking downwards exacerbates it. It's,live and learn i'm afraid.

• Posted

Thanks Gillian.

Yes I know what you mean one of those white noise machines. They are supposed to work really well and be very calming I will def look into it.

I have to admit after those dreadful exercises I was feeling woeful but now I am actually feeling not to bad. And am contemplating doing them once a week on a Friday night just incase it leaves me ill, that way I will have the weekend off to recover.

I am not as dizzy when I put my head back or turn over in bed. I hope that this good progress continues as it's fab. I am even able to stay up later than 8pm which is amazing as I am not as fatigued.

I have cut the betahistine down to two 16 mg tablets per day and hopefully after a couple of months will be able to ween myself of them permanently.

The buzzing in my ears is still annoying and horrid but if that's all I have to deal with I think I can cope.

Thanks again,

S.

• Posted

Well if you get one before me which is,probable let me,know what it"s,like. Glad to hear you're feeling better after stopping things. Word,of warning on just doing the exercises just once a week, you will probs have a reaction as before and tbh i think it's a matter of do the m daily or not at,all.  You wont really benefit from a once a week  go', but you cld go back to square one.   For eg,  I did some 'aggravating' movements last Saturday which i'm now regretting as the next day i ended up,with horrible symtoms (Not had them to that extent for a long time), and i cant shake them off. Ruined my week as cant do anything of use. Obviously stirred something up, just wish I knew the heck what!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.