Diagnosed with BV, today is day 3 still excessive itching

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to the doctor due to excessive itching in vaginal area & was diagnosed with BV. I was prescribed the 7 day, twice a day iron/metal tasting pill. I have not been able to get any sleep for the past 4-5 nights due to itching nonstop. It's like the medicine is not working. Someone please help me! I'm calling the doctor in the morning to let him know the medicine is not working. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You mentioned that you had itching prior to the antibiotic, did the itching get worse once you started the antibiotic? 

Did you have any other symptoms that prompted you to go to the doctor such as odor and/or discharge? If so, describe color of discharge and/or odor. 

Did the doctor take a vaginal swab & send it to a lab? If not, what was his method of diagnosing you with BV? 

• Posted

It basically stayed the same. I've had excessiveitching prior to getting diagnosed and still have it. I was considering getting something over the counter for yeast too. I'm not sure if this medicine is giving me a yeast infection or if I already had it and didn't know. He did swab me and send off for testing of chlamydia and gonnorhea. I also had the Pap done. 

• Posted

OH yeah and I do not have discharge or odor. Just excessive itching. 
  • Posted

Itching sounds more like yeast. Did he swap you, send to lab?
    • Posted

He did swab me and he also did a Pap on me. I was thinking to go get something over the counter for yeast because this itching is the worse. I had to call out of work this morning. 
  • Posted

Sounds like yeast. Have you gotten your lab results back yet? 
    • Posted

I have not. He said 5 days from when I went which was Wednesday. Let me go do the mirror thing. I haven't had any discharge though. 

• Posted

Lab results came back and no chlamydia or gonnorhea which I already knew. Went to Walmart and got monistat 3 day treatment for infection and itch. Starting tonight since it's recommended to do at night but applied itch cream immediately. No discharge when did the mirror test, however, clear discharge has started. Clear like a lubricant gel. 

• Posted

This is going to sound weird but go into the bathroom & get a mirror & look at your vagina. You may have to kinda spread your lips check to see if you see clumpy white stuff (similarly to cottage cheese). If so, then it sounds like you have a yeast infection & if you do then that antibiotic isn't going to cure that as yeast is fungal not bacterial. 

• Posted

Buy femdophilus probiotics and take 2 per day for at least 2 months then down to 1 each day. Studies are showing the strain containing l-reuteri is able to break through the biofilm. This probiotic is also able to reach the vaginal tract even though taken by mouth. It's one of the only strains that can do this. Keep doing whatever your doctor is telling you but this should act as reinforcment for you. And make sure you keep it in the refrigerator! good luck! 

• Posted

It could be something as simple as your shower gel or the washing powder you using for your cloths.

Try Aqeous cream ( recommended by the NHS for Bv/thrush problems )which can be used as a soap as well not these feminine washes which can add to the problem. Have you changed your wash powder ? Is it to strong for your skin ?

• Posted

Turns out I got a yeast infection from the BV antiobiotic. I was prescribed the one pill that took it away in 24 hours. I've been fine every since, thank God!!! Thank you all for your advice! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.