Diagnosed with chronic stomach inflammation, what next steps?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 20 year old female, who suffers with daily nausea for almost 6 years now. It was diagnosed as Acid Reflux and I took 500mg of Ranitidine on and off until it got recalled in 2019. Meat would cause me to throw up so I became a vegetarian on June 2019.

In October 2019 my symptoms became much worse and I was in and out of the hospital for suspected appendicitis for four days. I was switched onto Omeprazole, but the herbal medicine from my acupuncturist worked better and I didn't see a change with Omeprazole so I discontinued use with the support of my doctor. I received a endoscopy in December. Two biopsies were taken and the diagnosis they gave me was “chronic stomach inflammation.” Celiac was ruled out through testing.

I am conducting research out of the country until May so unfortunately I can not follow up with my doctor in the United States until then. I am mostly focused on making dietary changes. My doctor discussed doing a Colonoscopy upon my return.

My symptoms start with nausea in the pit of my stomach and when the nausea begins I am immediately lethargic. Then I get classic acid reflux symptoms where the acid like feeling travels into my throat. I also experience a dull ache on my lower right abdominal side (kind of feels as if someone is pressing on it) that grows into a sharp cramp. I also experience sharp pains on my left lower abdominal side. The pain on my right and left side are distinct and I feel like I could pinpoint the exact place; it doesn’t travel or connect. I also fluctuate between constipation and diarrhea when the symptoms are at their worst.

For the past two weeks I have been eating only the following foods: basmati rice, beets, beans, carrots, celery, eggs, spinach, mozzarella cheese, bell peppers, veggie burgers, peanut butter, rice cakes, bananas, oranges, cucumbers, and sunflower seeds.

I’ve noticed that introducing beets into my diet has been the only thing to normalize my bowels. The past two times I have eaten black beans or kidney beans with rice I have experienced flare ups. More recently, I had greek yogurt with sunflower seeds and oranges and had my first bad flare up in a week.

When my stomach pain was at it’s worse September-December 2019 I mostly only ate rice, rice congee, oatmeal, bananas, beans, and sometimes eggs. My stomach pain never lessened during that time.

Examining my food diary leads me to believe that rice, yogurt, and beans may be doing harm rather than good.

I guess I’m looking for dietary tips (what foods, any recipes, etc.). Also if anyone has shared experience they would be willing to share that would be lovely. I have always been an athletic person, but this has all stopped me from enjoying the sports and exercises I used to enjoy. Moreover, I fear I’m not getting a proper diet as I am now.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi grace, it sounds like you need to see a dietitian, it is good that you have ruled out being coeliac, as my doctors confirmed this for me last year (on top of being veggie). Keep your diet BLAND! Eat the foods you can manage and try 1 new thing at a time ONLY. Watch for any reactions and note them. Go back to your doctor and try maybe the FODMAP diet because by doing this you may found out that even the slightest trigger could be the thing that tips you over the edge. It sounds like your poor bowel and stomach have lots of sensitivity. Have you tried something like gaviscon to keep on top of the acid so you can eat reasonably? From what I have read it sounds like ibs, which is irritation bought on by food oh and stress. You could try some Yoga for the stres or walking or swimming or mindfulness. I am veggie, but sadly very limited what I can have due to the coeliac thing. When I am at home and have a chance I will send you some bland recipes. Oh the other thing that may help (if you can have lactose) is anything containing milk, it stops my stomach burning. Good luck - ask your doctors for some allergy tests too then you'll know what you can and can't have.

• Posted

A registered dietrition or nutritionist will give you a daily menu for your condition. You can also check with a pharmacist if there is a good over the counter med that you can take for your symptoms.

• Posted

maybe maybe the sunflower seeds are causing some of your problems also I take this and tack that was recalled in 2019 there's just some manufacturers that are bad the CVS manufacturers were not bad there's were all checked out you need to check around sounds like you have irritable bowel possibly diverticulitis but seeds are not good when you have stomach problems but go ahead and check with CVS on your zantac and where they are made mine are perfectly safe they did not recall them from CVS

• Posted

Hi,

Eggs will constipate you, particularly the yolk. Try a sugar/dairy free yoghurt and see if that makes a difference. Alpro makes a nice one. Milk alternative includes soya based and coconut milk based made by Koko. Don't know if you are UK or US but you can certainly get it in the UK. Cut down on the cucumber and avoid sugar.

Research a healthy diet or see a dietitian.

Lea

• Posted

PSSugar ferments in your stomach!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.