Diagnosed with depression yesterday

Posted , 5 users are following.

After a very stressful and awful engagement break up 2 months ago I am really struggling to deal with everything that has happened. I moved over 200 miles to be with this person and their children and now I have no contact details for them and feel like I have been left for dead. I've been signed off of work intermittently since it happened and although I tried to do a phased return last week, yesterday my doctors signed me off again for a further 2 weeks and prescribed me 50mg of sertraline to take once a day.

My life here for the past 2 years has been dedicated to this person and their family, and apart from a few friends, I am completely alone.

I can't and do not wish to move back to where I lived previously as I feel like I am taking a million steps backwards.

Confused, hurt, broken and damaged is an understatement and I can't seem to find a way out.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like an awful situation to be in, poor you! Sounds like you need some support, maybe you could contact your local MIND. I have found they can be helpful in the dark times and beyond.

Ask your gp for where to get support too.

Take care, this won't last forever, and when you're stronger, you can go out a make a new life for yourself xx

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. My GP has referred me for counselling and to the local mental health department so hopefully it won't take too much longer to speak to them.

Will try MIND as well, pleased they helped you through what you're experiencing.

Xx

• Posted

Well that's really positive then. Hope it doesn't take too long x

• Posted

Be kind to yourself, it is no use dwelling on what was, look now for what is and go for that new life you have decided to run with. You have decided to carry on with your life. Why bother feeling agreeved, move on as quickly as you can.

I am not telling you to heal, just give yourself time, I gather your thoughts You are still young I gather, rub yourself down and proceed to a new life with its adventures

BOB.

• Posted

Thank you. Being in self destruct mode made me seek help and I am desperate to get through this.

I appreciate your kind words and advice.

• Posted

Many say life is to short to be depressed

Good luck always around 

BOB

• Posted

make a plan by writing down what is in your head and choose the solution to your problems to get out of this rut.
  • Posted

Hi j15382 - sorry to read of your dilemma, but thank the gods this occurred in the engagement phase and not after the marriage! The other half has decided to move on for whatever reason and the kids are not yours. You are free to build a new future, and eventually you will find the one who is meant to be with you. Break-ups can be crushing for some of us and we might have a tendancy to blame ourselves. It's part of the grieving process and you must allow yourself that. It can be even more of a trial when the person in question has been the focus of our life as you have described your dedication to your ex. When you are wieghed down with rose-coloured memories, go and do something just for you. You are the focus of your life now. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.