Diagnosed with Diverticulier Disease, support needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI everyone,

I have suffered with my stomach and bowels for about 9 yrs and was always told it was IBS. I was never really convinced. Before christmas I had a problem with throat and not being able to swallow and after edoscopy was told I had inflammed Oseophagitis. I was doing pretty well for a while and then had flare up of stomach and bowel again. I recovered from that and then in January got struck down with something alot worse than I ever had. All along docs said it was a virus. I wasnt convinced as last 6 weeks. It even involved trip to A and E. Long story shory I had a colonoscopy and was told I had Diverticulitis and was sent on my merry way with a leaflet. Still a month on I am waiting biospy report. Consultants secretary said I have been discharged. I am none of the wiser. I have awful exhaustion, aches and pains, stomach is always painful and run a low fever of around 38. I wake up dripping wet and starting to feel like I just have no energy and started to have low level anxiety. Does this all sound familier to you all? any advice or comments would be greatly received. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Macywillow,  I have had diverticular disease for 7 years.  If you are running a low grade temperature and feel ill you need to see your doctor again to avoid a rupture in your bowel.  It is likely you still have an infection in your bowel and need a course of flagyl in combination with another antibiotic to knock it out.  

I was not treated early enough when my problems started and as a result have sufferred with re occuring flares that now leave me quite debilitated and isolated. 

Make an appointment today.  They can check with blood tests to see if your white count it higher than it should be indicating an infection and inflammation.

Best. Donna

• Posted

Hi ya. I have to agree, you need to go back to your Dr and get the right antibiotics. I too was diagnosed and given a leaflet which was a fat lot of use (in my opinion). Since joining this group I have had a lot more help, support and information. I am enjoying a settled period at the moment. I was advised to stop eating bananas and yogurts and citrus fruits and since then have really come on. Dont even get reflux anymore, which i had for quite a few years. Any exercise which involves my core triggers pain so I walk and have stopped going to the gym.this condition is horrid, debilitating,painful and frustrating. Personally I think people could do with more information back up and support. I wish you well and I am sure you will benefit from the support of this group. I know I have. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi may willow

I'm recovering from bowel surgery my 2nd in a month. I ended up with a colostomy. I found I had diverticular disease after a test in

2010. I put up with abdo pain/upset stomach months thinking it's

stress of job.

I had week high temp,sweats fever right sided groin pain I went to Dr 3 times in a week. Given laxatives first time,omg the pain he'll. Next morning I went back liquid diet 48 hrs come back. I did go back 48 hrs to SAU admitted a cat scan showed diverticulum had erupted a hole/sepsis. Emergency op keyhole that all settled after iv antibiotics and oral for a week. The fever,pains lack of energy returned. Again admitted three weeks after first op for cat scan emergency op re bowel stricture and more infection. Part of my large bowel removed and a colostomy fitted. I'm tired yes post surgery. I urge you to go back to see gp re fever! Don't let it get past fever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.