Diagnosed with diverticulitis 4 weeks ago and still not right. I am confused.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Heya i am a 30 year old male got diagnosed with diverticulitis nearly 4 weeks ago because i went to the e.r with bladder pains and stomach pains had a ct and turned out to be diverticulitis but i think i have been suffering from flairs years before this one anyways i got but on alphaclav antibiotics for 10 days followed by flagyl another 6 days ended up back in the e.r yesterday because still in pain in my mid right side and stools are like pebbles or ribbons with mucus. When i went to the e.r they hooked me up to flagyl on a drip then did bloods test all my bloods came back okay. Surgeon came in pressed around and ordered a ct scan with contrast because he said could be another flair. I got my resaults the next day surgeon said scan looked good and its not a flair and to go home because they are happy with how it all looked. I was in utter shock because i still feel horrible like i did when this all started. I am still in pain on my right side and still not going to the toilet right at home. I am at a loss as what to do and also scared from reading all these stories about perforation bowel last thing i want to happen. Is it normal for the pain to linger this long and stools to still not be right ? I am doing the fodmap diet and eating well. Just dont understand how my scan was fine.....

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your pain.  Have you had a colonoscopy yet?   This is a very intense disease for sure.   I am waiting for scope to be done to confim diagnosis.  My pain is on the bladder and left side/hip.  We are all differen for sure.  How long have you been on the antibiotics?  I know it took me almost the whole length to get feeling some better.  At first my GP only gave the Cipro/anti and no Flagyl,  and I ended up in the Er, where they added the Flagyl.  Hope you get somemore answers here,  Im not too worried about perferation myself, but if its concerning you i am sure someone will comment.   Hope you can try to relax, since worry usually makes it worse,  hang in there,

• Posted

Heya i was on oral antibiotics for a total of 16 days and then had the one lot of iv flagyl 2 days ago but when the scan came back okay according to the surgeon they stopped the antibiotics. He said to get a colonoscopy but to wait atleast 3 weeks.
  • Posted

Hi, yes it takes a long time to heal, Diet is very important, start with the Mayo Clinic diet, do a good probiotics cuz antibiotics tear up gut flora and cause more pain. Take a digestive enzyme also. Drink lotsa water and I used beef bone broth, all soft foods. Mashed potatoes and carrots, steamed chicken and rice and salmon. Soups. Go easy on diet for a few weeks, no processed or fried foods. No seeds. I also did smoothies. The pain will go away in time. I still get pain and twinges. And it’s been 6 months for me. The stools take a long time to get back to normal, I found that when I started adding new foods back into diet, no dairy, or high fiber for awhile. Keep a food journal till you figure out your food triggers. It’s a hard disease but in time you will get better. Everyone is diff so just gotta listen to your body, destress, be patient and watch diet. I also did Apple cider vinegar with warm water and lemon daily helps with inflammation and heating pad on tummy Tylenol, no ibuprofen. Well I hope this helps a little. Feel free to reach out or ask ? ? We all been through it. Best wishes for speedy recovery. 
  • Posted

Hi Matyboyie,

Did the doctor tell you to eat low residue which is low fiber soft foods? Fodmap is good when you are feeling better but not so great while you are sick. Lots of water and I mean a lot. I do 10 cups minimum a day because it helps with pooing. Soft foods low in fiber so potatoes no skin, carrots, apple sauce, low fiber cooked fruit and veg (google mayo clinic low residue diet). Talk to your gp about a fiber suppliment or laxitive but please do not take these with out a doctors permission.

Write down everything you eat and look to see what causes pain and what doesn't. It is total trial and error when it comes to food. Most people have problems with dairy, red meat, skins on fruit or veg, nuts, seeds and pips and corn. But everyone is different. The pain can last months or days unfortunately no one can tell you. Don't strain on the toilet. Try to relax as much as possible. I know I am asking alot but if you can do what everyone mentions you will make life easier. Please remember most people only get one attack but some get lots so please get on the food right and when you feel better do high fiber fodmap. At least 30 grams a day but work up to it very very slowly or you could cause pain from too much fiber too fast. Hopefully others will post and give you more tips and tricks. I hope you feel better soon.

Julie

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry this has happened to you at such a young age As you probably already know this is a lifetime disease but by trial and error you will learn how to keep flare ups at a minimum I like you was pooping like what rabbit stool looks like a few weeks before my first flare I would guess if cat scan with contrast looked good to doc's your colon is still angry It has been thru a lot with infection and it's probably inflammation that is causing pain If you can ask what your CRP level was when blood work was done Try to control anxiety for this can also cause a flare You will getta better idea of what is up after your colonoscopy Do drink lots of water and follow Mayo clinic diverticulitis diet eat smaller meals more frequently thru out the day I did all these things and still had to have 2 surgurys and still can't eat like I use to before diverticulitis But do eat I started out 138 pounds 4 months ago and I now weight 99 lbs don't b afraid to eat but do eat according to mayo clinic diverticulitis diet Let us know how you are lots of great advice on this forum Do you have IBS ?

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you have developed this disease at such a young age.  I've read through all your replies and they offer you excellent advice for managing this disease through your diet.  It can be very scary at first, because it takes a long time to get over an attack, weeks or even months, which nobody will have told you.  That makes it hard to explain to family and friends, and that you must watch your food for life.  I have had the disease 17 years now and had 6 flares.  At first it took 4 - 6 weeks to start to feel better, but last time I was still suffering twinges for almost a year.  Now if I eat properly I am OK, and if I don't I get the twinges.

The medications you have been given are VERY strong and strip out all your gut flora - the good along with the bad.   They also make you feel lousy from the side effects and it takes a few weeks for these side effects to wear off after you've finished the courses.  Your insides will have been left inflamed and sore from the infection and it does take a long time to heal.  If you think about an ordinary cut, even when its clean and healing it will be tender, swollen and itchy and that's similar to what's going on inside you.  There may be pressure on your bladder, and you have no gut flora to process your poo, hence the rabbit droppings and excess mucus.  It takes time to rebuild the gut.  Many people take probiotics daily to help with the repair process.  I also take pure Aloe Vera juice daily, as a natural help to internal healing.  It's been used for centuries in the Canary Islands.  I also take a daily stool softener to bulk and soften the stools and make them easier to pass, but not whilst I am on the antibiotics.

So what you are feeling is normal recovery.  You should be reassured that you have 2 scans and there are no signs of the complications you fear.  They are rare and you should also remember that most people do not have these complications, so stop posting when they eventually begin to feel better.  You do need a Colonoscopy, which will give a definitive picture of what is going on inside you, but that can't be done until they are sure the infection has gone.  That will show if you have narrowing or little polyps, which are removed at the same time.  Of course if the pain worsens then you must go back to the doctor. 

I have lived a normal active life with this disease, playing competitive sport, and no need for surgery.  Mine is serious but uncomplicated Diverticular Disease, with multiple diverticula and severe narrowing.  I am fortunate not to have additional issues like IBS.  I was undiagnosed for years and had I known, would have got on top of my diet much earlier.  It will take time but you will slowly learn what does and does not suit your body.  We are all different, so each must find their own way.  The doctors may say "eat what you like" but that's simply not true for most of us.  A healthy balanced diet with lots of water and soluble fibre, and excluding all your own particular triggers.  Exercise like walking is good, but avoid heavy lifting and bending whilst still in pain.  Also get plenty of rest and don't push yourself too far too soon.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies. All the advice and so on has been great. I have been feeling alone through this whole thing because people seem to look at me like i am fine but dont know the pain i am in. I pray i dont get another flair anytime soon and will be doing some major lifestyle changes to make sure of that. Thanks again smile
    • Posted

I too had a bit of a flare up just last weekend I had to stay home from work. It wasn’t as bad as a year ago but this issues really makes me feel so sick and the pain is too much. I learned from pass flare ups is that I can’t eat the things that I could eat when I was younger. I put myself on a liquid diet to rest my my intestines and rest is also something you have to do. I’m feeling a whole lot better but I too am not 100 percent. 
  • Posted

And of course yesterday and today pain is back on right side. Almost feels like an appendicitis. Nearly 5 weeks and feel like its never gonna end. Keep getting told to go to hospital but i feel like there is no point because they have already done 2 ct scans on me and last one showed it was nearly healed. rolleyes
    • Posted

You should go on a liquid diet trust me you will feel better within a week after you start feeling well start a low fiber diet, then go on a high fiber diet. Trust me you will feel better
    • Posted

Yeah i started today. I think i just got inflamation going on because got no temp or anything. Hurts bad.. hopefully the liquid diet works.
    • Posted

Oh trust me it will though I found out that it’s such a process before really feeling like yourself but you will feel better. I hope it all works out for you and you start feeling better very soon. Take care of yourself 
    • Posted

Thanks angelina. Started the liquid diet last night and today i am still in pain. Always on my right side which is weird. Pain is pretty bad but at this point i am trying not to freak out because my ct was good last week and i am actually going to the toilet normal atm which i dont during a flare. So strange to be in this much pain still though. Chicken broth will be my friend the next few days lol
    • Posted

My pain with every flare was under belly button and to the right side Doctors at hospital said no rhyme or reason because diverticulitis was sigmoid colon every one is different I hope you can ( I'm sure you will ) get it under control I know I'm not typical but surgery has been a nightmare Surgeon says go to primary care doc Primary care not knowable when it comes to gut but he did figure out I have H Pylori

• Posted

Well 5 weeks of this and the pain just doesn't feel better. Some days feels worse.its really taken alot out of me. I guess i just have to ride it out and try everything to get better but its hard because with the pain i just think the worst and get worried about perforation and so on.

• Posted

I'm so sorry like I said before your much to young for this disease! You are in my thoughts and prayers Hang tough and try not to worry to much

• Posted

Got my blood test results from yesterday. Wbc is normal but got elevated crp which i guess means its inflamation causing this pain
    • Posted

I know the pain is aweful it’s no joke at all but this is from it being inflamed (intestines) it’s a process I know but gradually it will ease. I know it’s easier to hear this than done and you want the pain to go away like now but it doesn’t (our body) do what we want unfortunately. Broth, jello, apple juice, popsicle, and tea are some of the items you can have according to my doctor. This is considered a liquid diet. Understand during this time you won’t be receiving the proper vitamins your body needs so be sure after three days or so to inform your doctor that there is no change. 
    • Posted

Thanks angelina. I just keep thinking the worse like maybe it hasn't healed and gonna have a perforation and so on but my last ct scan over a week ago was showing it was resolving so i gotta remember that. I went to a different gp yesterday to get some pain management and told him my story he was pretty good and told him i am in pain on my right side and upper right side said its prob not diverticulitis because mine is in my sigmoid colon which is lower left. They put me on antibiotics again augmentin no idea why because my wbc is normal and took 1 dose of those pills next day mega upset stomach from just 1 dose.

• Posted

I've had that exact same pain every day for around 2 years now (as well as all the other pains!)  The best thing to do is try all the different kinds of food that have been mentioned here, and see what works for you.  I've found that Activia yoghurt has helped with the loose bowel movements, as has cutting out spicy food, and dairy products.  It really is a case of trial and error to see what helps you.  Sadly, nothing has helped with the pain, however.  :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.