Diagnosed with Diverticulitis on antibiotics 1 week left. Should i still be on liquid diet?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Help! I am not sure if I should still be on liquid diet.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My experience for the 10 days I was on antibiotics was that I did better when I maintained a liquid and very soft food diet, that is, broth, fruit juices, yogurt, Activia, Boost.

• Posted

Hello, it depends on how you are feeling, dose your stomach feel raw and are you constipated? I would start with soft and easily digestible foods and avoid fiber for now until you feel like you've healed. As far as a maintenance diet goes you'll find answers on the web and from many good people here. Cheers.

• Posted

Hi,

Follow the advice given and start gradually on a light diet depending on how your stomach feels. Dont go back on fibre yet until you are healed. Some things I have eaten in the early stage of recovery is clear soup,chicken,boiled rice,white bread,crackers, jelly (think its jello in USA) potato with no skin,cheese,yogurt,eggs,rice krispies,herbal tea. Hope this helps and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I am sorry for your pain. I've had it twice and follow your doctors advise.

• Posted

When you take antibiotics of whatever type it's essential that you also take probiotics.

Make sure the yoghurt you have is live (it can be flavoured if you prefer but best if it doesn't have too much sugar in it as well as sugar encourages the bad bugs).

There's also a good range of kefir available in supermarkets these days but make sure that's live as well.

Then there's probiotic capsules you can get from health shops.

The main thing is to get a wide range of good bugs inside you as the antibiotics will kill off all your friendly stuff that you need for healthy digestion along with the bad bugs that were causing your problem. If you don't replace the good stuff there are some very bad 'bad guys' that are happy to fill the gaps and then you get all kinds of worse problems.

• Posted

You don't want to be on a liquid diet for more than 48 hours. If you are still having some pain keep to bland foods like mashed potato, baked white fish, and stay clear of too much roughage...like cereals or seeds or skins of fruit and veg etc..

Hope you will feel better soon.

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.