Diagnosed with Folliculitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went into my local GP for a hard bump on back of my head about a week back, it's nearest to my right ear. She said it was Folliculitis. Prescribed me with antibiotic pills. I took them for a week, and I can still feel the bump. I'm thinking she misdiagnosed it. Do you think I should get a second opinion? or make another appointment to see her again? Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could go back to this doctor or get a second opinion. Maybe the first step is to complete the antibiotic regimen and go back to this doctor if it's not better. I would go back to the first doctor and ask this stuff (below) if you get a sense that he/she is a good doctor. If you did not sense a rapport -- more reason for second opinion.

I would ask if it could be cyst. And ask if it can be excised if it is folliculitis. Tell the doctor that for esthetic reasons you would prefer to have it removed -- if you want it removed that is. It will also basically push the doctor (a bit, respectfully) to do something. Lastly, you can ask for a biopsy so you know for sure what the offending pathogen is. I would ask for a biopsy -- why not.

good luck!

• Posted

I suggest to avoid antibiotics. Try to clean it naturally. If you need help what to eat and what you should avoid I can help you.

• Posted

To the person who wants to avoid antibiotics -- okay you are entitled to your opinion. However Cshull I don't know what your education or beliefs are however I would say a) don't be untruthful to the doctor so if you are on the antibiotics stay on them (and NEVER stop antibiotics early, as this is where MRSA comes from i.e. antibiotic resistance I hope we all know not to do that.)

I personally think that antibiotics are one of the great discoveries of our time and wouldn't listen to people who say not to use them. As they say, you should take people's medical advice when they get a medical license.

I think you were looking for advice about how to deal with doctors and hope you feel better about that. I will say that all kinds of healing OUTSIDE of the medical profession do work and you should try them too. Best for folliculitis is tea tree oil. And you can take manuka honey internally. Why not try both what the doctors say and also natural remedies?

Good luck

EO

• Posted

There's many factors that have lead to antibiotics resistance. Antibiotics are not only used in human medicine they are used on livestock, agriculture and fish farms. This has been going on for decades in very irresponsible ways and the bacterias, which can communicate with each other via quorum sensing pass on information among each other, have become resistant to most types of antibiotics. Even the traditional length of 10 days (for several types) of antibiotics has come into question of whether or not has contributed to antibiotic resistance by subjecting people to too long of unnecessary dosing. Antibiotics also survive the GI tract and when excreted by animals or as run-off in agriculture often times ends up in ground water, lakes, streams, seas and makes it's way into drinking water.

Follicultis is most often caused by staph aureus that embeds itself in hair follicles. It can also be due to fungus, virus, ingrown hairs. Get a second opinion, However, if it is folliculitis oral antibiotics generally work temporarily and when usage is stopped bumps often times return. Antibiotic ointment such as Mupirocin can be effective but may develop resistance to over time. You may want to try salicilic acid (acne) pads and/or benzoyl peroxide first before moving on to other products. Avoid sweating and tight clothing that causes friction. Shower immediately after sweating. Shower with warm (but not hot) water and pat dry with a towel to avoid disrupting natural skin oils and acid mantle. Shower every other day or less. Wash hair every third day or so with Selsun Blue Medicated shampoo. No conditioner. Wash hands often with regular (non-antibacterial) soap. Change shower towels and hand towels daily. Use free and clear laundry detergent + a half cup of Pine-Sol. Dry clothes completely in dryer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.