Diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and Major Depressive, but possibly Bipolar?

Posted , 4 users are following.

When I was 16, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder following a 3 month episode where I was severely depressed (cutting, suicidal thoughts). Fast forward to 2 years ago, I started getting severe anxiety where I would constantly disassociate from reality. But I still felt like something else was wrong with me.

My moods are constantly shifting and I feel like I don't have a "normal" baseline mood. For example, one week I am extremely depressed. I have constant thoughts of suicide and hopelessness and always questioning what's the point anymore.

Then magically, I snap out of it and then become super over confident of myself and how I'm going to change the world and I'm going to be extremely famous. During this time, I am extremely driven and basically work on projects all day, workout a ton and have constant racing thoughts. But also during this time, I have severe anxiety, paranoid, am extremely angry and irritable, and have insomnia. For example, I'll be walking to class and some random person passes me by and I get an urge to just yell at them for no apparent reason or my buddy remarks on something insignificant and I just want to punch him in the face.

I constantly cycle in and out of these moods and I honestly feel like I am going crazy. I'm either depressed or on edge, there is no in between for me. My psychiatrist put me on Zoloft for anxiety but all it did was made me a zombie and make me more depressed.

I have talked to my psychaitrist about me having bipolar disorder (my grandma and aunt both have it) and she said I could have it based off of family history and my rapid mood cycling so she prescribed me Lamotrigine but she is also skeptical. 

Bottom line is, I just want to figure out what is wrong with me and would greatly appreciate people's opinions on this and symptoms they experienced prior to their Bipolar Diagnosis. 

FYI, I'm 20 and also take vyvanse for ADD

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi friend,

Life is hard enough without a mental illness. For years I knew there was something wrong with me, but I didn't know what. After being diagnosed, it took many years of trying different meds before I found the right mixture for me. It could still change.

By what you are saying here, and from my own personal experience, it sounds like bipolar, but I'm not a doctor, and this is just my own personal opinion.

You need to talk to your psychiatry about this until you feel better.

Nothing will get better unless you do that first.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warm regards,

Selene

• Posted

Alex

Your condition MAY be effected from your ADD, although you will need to possibly confirm your Anxiety and if you are Manic. We cannot diagnose that we are not qualified, talk to your GP

I know some with Autism, or similar and they can have mood changes

BOB

• Posted

It definitely sounds like bipolar disorder to me! I can absolutely relate to the random feelings of violence, racing thoughts, delusional thinking, mood extremes, insomnia, etc! I’m not a Doctor, but have experienced basically everything you mentioned and I’ve been diagnosed with it for many years. I also have borderline personality disorder, which has terrible symptoms. I bet it’s very difficult to live like this for you, and I’d recommend finding another psychiatrist ASAP. These symptoms are serious, could be potentially dangerous for you, and are very over the top with bipolar, and if you do have it, medication and therapy will help you lots. You don’t have to live like this anymore. Good for you for reaching out for help! I hope you feel better! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.