Diagnosed with GERD without testing......anyone else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone, In the summer last year I was hit with crazy chest pain after over eating....I went to ER thinking it was heart....they ran tests and said all was normal and sent me on my way...a week after that I developed a lump sensation in my throat....thinking it was related to my muscle back pain and anxiety I dismissed it.   About a month later I was hit with another episode of chest pain so back to ER where they told me I should get more testing done on my heart...so I did...about a months worths of testing, but all came back normal.  I mentioned to the doctor that I had a lump feeling in my throat and she said that that goes hand in hand with GERD and seeing my heart tests and upper abdominal tests were good they said it is more than likely GERD.   I had a fecal test done and it was normal, then they tested for h pylori by blood and it was normal.  THey offered a 21 day course of PPI which I didn't take as it seemed like a very strong dose and I have heard mixed reviews on PPI's where some say they end up worse than better...which I am trying to avoid.   My question is how many on here have been diagnosed without further testing.  I know the only real test is endoscopy...which I am not sure about......At this point my main symptom is still the lump sensation in my throat that comes and goes and feels better after I eat.  Reading on many forums it seems more and more people are getting these tests done...I am amazed because there are risks involved with this procedure.  I have switched my diet to low acid and have been doing physio therapy to correct my posture and strengthen my upper back and neck muscles, which actually does help.  I am just curious if there is anyone out there in GERD land that has just been diagnosed by symptoms alone.   

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have your tonsils?  Have you heard of tonsililiths?  That would make your throat feel a bit swollen.  I get them.  They are gross.  It took me years to discover them.
  • Posted

Yes I do still have my tonsils, but that I said not it.  I have had tonsillitis before that is brutal painful.    This sensation is more down below the Adam's apple area.....a lot of people have it, some get it from anxiety and others because of gerd...LPR...

• Posted

Short termp PPI's will not harm you. There is risks involved with every we do or take, I have done 5 endescope with no problem and the good thing about an endescope specially when you are 40+ is to check for Barretts or other conditions you may have and did not know about. Sure, be carefull because if you have reflux they will give you PPI's for more than a short term even if you have low acid which is not going to help you. ;-(  

• Posted

Hi there, that is not entirely true that short term ppi's can't harm you...I have heard from many that it made their symptoms worse.  They can't harm you in the way like they would long term meaning loss of nutrients, stomach infections..etc...but depending on your ph levels if one is low acid like you said will make things worse....the best study would be a ph monitor...however where I live they don't have that study....all they have is a barium swallow test and a endoscopy.   Diet and life style changes to encourage the body to heal like it is intended to is key.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.