Diagnosed with globus last week and it's getting on my nerves now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone so glad I found this forum as I feel like everyone I talk to about this just thinks I am off my head.after a year of abdominal discomfort various tests and investigation I was diagnosed with IBS in December 2014 . After that i started getting what I now think was acid reflux ( well I definitely know I had one episode as I burped and my mouth was literally full of stomach acid . I then developed a lump feeling in my throat and through an endoscopic evaluation was diagnosed with globus. i don't eat fatty or processed foods don't smoke very very rarely drink and suffer no more stress than your average person. I exercise regularly so I'm not over weight , I've raised my bed by 10 cm .. Don't eat for a few hours before bed but still the lump feeling is there . Can anyone offer any advise on diet or the dreaded PPI that my doctor has offered me ( I am a bit of a natural freak so would like to try other things... But don't know where to start) . I am currently on a daily nasal spray as we (my doctor and I) are trying a process of elimination so focusing on a possible post nasal drip . The reason for this is because my left side , where I feel the sensation , is always blocked . Is it possible to get reflux on one side??

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire, I have suffered with globus for 18 months. It's horrible and there isn't really a cure. Mine was brought on by anxiety and it's the reason a started taking antidepressants. It sounds like you are healthy, are you anxious at all? It's one of those things the more you think about it the more obvious it becomes. I take omeprazole for acid reclux, but to be honest they don't make much difference. Have you tried gaviscon?
    • Posted

Hi Amy thanks for your reply. I was anxious previous to this as I was worried there was something seriously wrong with my digestive system but once I was checked then I felt ok . Then about a month later this came on me . So I don't think it is to do with anxiety. It never goes away and last night I had a glass of wine and it was really bad today so I'm thinking it is something to do with possibly silent reflux , gerd etc . I have read that it is the muscles in the neck tightening up so I have been doing stretches to see if they may a difference.....
    • Posted

Yes tried gaviscon, rennie, etc but they just make me constipated!!!!
    • Posted

Mine just came out of the blue it's the reason I've now got anxiety!! Yes I believe it's a combination of acid reflux, mucus and tension. Also it makes you swallow more so overworkes the muscles. You could try a PPI it may help.
    • Posted

I think that might be my next option. I read a paper written by someone investigating this "phenomenon " and they said that a 3 month course of PPI was successful in 45% of a study group . The study group was only small , 27 people, but I think I am at the point now where I will give them a go . I'm going back to doctors in 2 weeks so I will also ask to be referred to ENT as well ... Just to check its all clear up there as well
    • Posted

Amy, what is a PPI. Sorry, I have not heard of that abbreviation.
    • Posted

It's a proton pump inhibitor? It's stops your stomach producing as much acid. I take omeprazol but there are other ones. I'm suffering with really bad acid for the last 5 days and it's brought my globus back. Seeing the doctor today and asking for some different medication. Fed up of it!!!
    • Posted

Hi amy, I'm considering to try gaviscon, im only turning 15 though, do you think i can still take it or no? Thanks
  • Posted

This sounds exactly like what I have. My doctor said it was Laryngopharyngeal Reflux. It seems to get worse if I raise my voice or shout, and often feels so dry that I have to take a sip of water to relieve the discomfort. It comes and goes throughout the day. It seems to move from side to side, so that differs from your symptoms. I have had the scope up my nose and down my throat 5 times and there is nothing. In addition, the CT Scan also showed nothing. An xray indiates inflamation in my throat, but nothing else. When I was first diagnosed, I had thrush on my larynx, which was treated and healed. I have also raised my pillow with a wedge pillow that I purchased on Amazon. I have now had this condition for 1 year. It drives me crazy. I wake every morning hoping that this will be the day that it is gone. I wish I didn't have to live with this. I totally understand how you feel.
    • Posted

Ah the " is it isn't it there" morning thought totally relate to that. I've read that the feeling is due to the muscles constricting due to the LPR so I have started doing neck exercise through out the day . I too feel like my throat is dry and have to either suck on a sweet or drink the relieve it . I've only had it 4 months and it does my head in . Can't imagine how you feel after a year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.