Diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and Hypothyroidism - impossible to lose weight

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 22 year old 5'3 female, and currently at around 170lbs. I have gained 35-40 pounds in about one year. My TSH levels and all that came back normal after every blood test, even though it is confirmed that I have Hashimoto's Disease. I am prescribed the lowest dose of Levothyroxine, which appears to do little to nothing. I know that female birth control (sprintec, which I had been on for over a year) can effect the how the TSH levels appear on bloodwork, and I mentioned this to my primary care doctor and he basically responded with a shrug. I have stopped birthcontrol within the last two weeks and am hoping this is the hidden cause of my issues. To make more sense, my diet has not changed at all over this period of time, and if it has, then only for the better. But now, I currently burn about 3,000 calories a day at work, and consume about 1,000 calories daily. I have still not seen any weight change or improvement. Though I plan to try to see an endocrinologist, I would like any input on to why this would happen as the strong calorie deficit with no noticeable fat loss has me completely confused.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Its never impossible to lose weight, even when taking weight gain medications. I am losing weight but i still take the same medication, it just requires alot of exercise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.